Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

    Phoronix: Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

    Fedora 15 has just been released! Fedora 15 is the first major Linux distribution shipping with the GNOME 3.0 Shell by default, and as usual, has a host of other Linux innovations...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ3OA

  • #2
    This is my first exposure to Gnome 3.

    I was pissed off enough back when they tried the whole "spatial" thing a few years back, but this, this takes the cake.

    I need to spend some more time to see if I'm missing something (I don't think I am), but after 20 minutes, I can't stand it!

    It seems like it takes between two and three times as many interactions (motions/clicks) to do pretty much everything! Launching apps, switching apps, switching desktops, this all takes longer. And WHY? How does a piece of software doubling the time required to complete the main activities it's responsible for not count as complete FAIL? Do I really have to move all the way top left and then all the way right to switch desktops? How is having one screen with a mountain of app icons all lumped together possibly better than organized in menus??

    I switched to the fallback mode, installed and used the tweak tool to bring back the Nautilus desktop, but I still can't arrange my panels. I have years (Linux since 1993) of muscle memory I don't /want/ to overcome. I /was/ relatively happy with my desktop, but they couldn't just leave it alone. I think I might have to switch to KDE (now that QT is LGPL and KDE isn't evil, I would at least consider it).

    I don't think I'm gonna be alone here. Let the rebellion begin! I think this will be the start of a Gnome death spiral.

    Comment


    • #3
      Try Ubuntu/Unity. Unity is actually improving the user experience, unless the mess that is GNOME Shell.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looking Bright

        Man, GNOME 3, systemd, btrfs... it's like the future, but now. Fedora 15 and the sunny weather outside are making this season a happy one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by hubick View Post
          This is my first exposure to Gnome 3.

          I was pissed off enough back when they tried the whole "spatial" thing a few years back, but this, this takes the cake.

          I need to spend some more time to see if I'm missing something (I don't think I am), but after 20 minutes, I can't stand it!

          It seems like it takes between two and three times as many interactions (motions/clicks) to do pretty much everything! Launching apps, switching apps, switching desktops, this all takes longer. And WHY? How does a piece of software doubling the time required to complete the main activities it's responsible for not count as complete FAIL? Do I really have to move all the way top left and then all the way right to switch desktops? How is having one screen with a mountain of app icons all lumped together possibly better than organized in menus??

          I switched to the fallback mode, installed and used the tweak tool to bring back the Nautilus desktop, but I still can't arrange my panels. I have years (Linux since 1993) of muscle memory I don't /want/ to overcome. I /was/ relatively happy with my desktop, but they couldn't just leave it alone. I think I might have to switch to KDE (now that QT is LGPL and KDE isn't evil, I would at least consider it).

          I don't think I'm gonna be alone here. Let the rebellion begin! I think this will be the start of a Gnome death spiral.
          In order to use GS you really have to use it as they intend not as one is used to. Once you do this it is actually fairly efficient though still needs loads of improvements but from all accounts (that I've heard) it is far faster than Unity unless you're using blobs.
          Now, have you heard of the GS extensions? Assuming you have look at this http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html. It reimplements launchers, classic menu and more but using gnome 3 tech.
          good luck!

          Comment


          • #6
            The upgrade isn't even working here.

            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released
            http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ3OA
            Booting to the "upgrade" kernel results in a frozen system where the last line on dmesg is

            Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...

            This upgrade was created by running preupgrade on a fully updated F14 system. So it looks like the new initramfs is defective, but at least the F14 system is still OK.
            Last edited by chrisr; 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Try Ubuntu/Unity. Unity is actually improving the user experience, unless the mess that is GNOME Shell.
              Personally, I think its more the other way around.

              I actually don't dislike unity, but think its still very unpolished and immature. I find Gnome shell to be very fast and polished.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hubick View Post
                This is my first exposure to Gnome 3.

                I was pissed off enough back when they tried the whole "spatial" thing a few years back, but this, this takes the cake.

                I need to spend some more time to see if I'm missing something (I don't think I am), but after 20 minutes, I can't stand it!

                It seems like it takes between two and three times as many interactions (motions/clicks) to do pretty much everything! Launching apps, switching apps, switching desktops, this all takes longer. And WHY? How does a piece of software doubling the time required to complete the main activities it's responsible for not count as complete FAIL? Do I really have to move all the way top left and then all the way right to switch desktops? How is having one screen with a mountain of app icons all lumped together possibly better than organized in menus??

                I switched to the fallback mode, installed and used the tweak tool to bring back the Nautilus desktop, but I still can't arrange my panels. I have years (Linux since 1993) of muscle memory I don't /want/ to overcome. I /was/ relatively happy with my desktop, but they couldn't just leave it alone. I think I might have to switch to KDE (now that QT is LGPL and KDE isn't evil, I would at least consider it).

                I don't think I'm gonna be alone here. Let the rebellion begin! I think this will be the start of a Gnome death spiral.
                KDE 4.0 wasn't good either, but 4.6 is far better.
                I think Gnome will get better, but on the other hand I think the changes in Gnome 3 are more radical than KDE 4.0

                KDE 4.0 was buggy and lacked a lot of the configuration options from 3.5, but it was still a fairly similar desktop experience. They still had a panel with a menu to launch applications. Gnome Shell is an entirely different way of navigating the desktop.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                  Booting to the "upgrade" kernel results in a frozen system where the last line on dmesg is

                  Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...

                  This upgrade was created by running preupgrade on a fully updated F14 system. So it looks like the new initramfs is defective, but at least the F14 system is still OK.
                  I never managed to upgrade a fedora install to a newer version, and I've tried a couple of times. It always fails and the system becomes totaly unusable in my case.

                  This new Fedora version looks nice. As I've said before, I'm really enjoying the new desktop paradigms that are emerging (Unity and Gnome Shell). They are bringing a sense of freshness and inovation to the linux world, but I know lots of people who value stability aren't happy at all with the change. You loose some, you win some. It's impossible to please everybody.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    I actually don't dislike unity, but think its still very unpolished and immature. I find Gnome shell to be very fast and polished.
                    Yep. Unity is bolted onto Gnome 2.x and it shows.

                    I wasn't a big fan of Gnome Shell at first but after trialing many of the Fedora test days for Gnome 3 I've grown to really like it. Sure it has some quirks. Personally I think the workspace switcher is ugly.

                    After learning some of the shortcuts (and there are many, google around) it's quite nice and I much prefer it over 2.x

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Now, have you heard of the GS extensions? Assuming you have look at this http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html. It reimplements launchers, classic menu and more but using gnome 3 tech.
                      good luck!
                      There are also many nice extensions pre-packaged for fedora

                      $ yum search gnome-shell-extensions

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Pretty smooth so far, except that gnome-shell seems to happily eat CPU cycles in proportion to the rate of pixels being updated on the screen (a large glxgears window running at 60fps is enough to make it try to eat a whole core, while glxgears itself is under 1%). I assume the compositor is hitting a fallback (default radeon/gallium driver with RV620), but it's annoying either way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                          There are also many nice extensions pre-packaged for fedora

                          $ yum search gnome-shell-extensions
                          Of course that's true, but the reason I mentioned the the above was that it brings much of g2 to the shell.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                            Try Ubuntu/Unity. Unity is actually improving the user experience, unless the mess that is GNOME Shell.
                            how is Unity Improving exactly? i still see many saying on the ubuntu forums how bad it is . iv'e even seen a lot of Ubuntu people download fedora15 cause of how much they loathe Unity

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                              how is Unity Improving exactly? i still see many saying on the ubuntu forums how bad it is . iv'e even seen a lot of Ubuntu people download fedora15 cause of how much they loathe Unity
                              Simply, usability studies. I took a look at gnome.org about gnome shell usability and I didn't find anything than: we did the change, because it will improve usability and end user experience etc. This is bullshit and there are no real explanation why they did what they did. I consider Unity is great right now and will be much better in the future. I'd love to see Gnome throwing shell away in the name of Unity. Fedora (so systemd, btrfs, spice and other features)+Unity+the rest of Gnome3 will be a great distribution (much better than Ubuntu imho). If there's still hope Gnome3 will become Linux only and someone fill fix the damn shell it will be also great. There are dozens of features in Linux which can give Gnome quite big advantage.

                              This Fedora release is great. I'm using KDE spin of course. Messed up Kubuntu can go home.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X