Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Board Votes On Non-Free Software Option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Originally posted by yotambien
    Lately there's been quite a lot of nonsense posts with rubbish claims like this. You people love to talk about IQ scores and imply your belonging to some intellectual elite because you use a particular operative system. Nevermind how absolutely ridiculous this idea is or how idiotic the whole concept of IQ measurements turns out to be.
    Ya I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that claim considering every mensa event I attend Windows pc's dominate the room.
    That claim is ridiculous, of course. But just to be absolutely clear, the second part of my comment refers to the very notion of IQ testing--which I imagine mensa people are quite fond of.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      Oracle mostly aggressively sells software(using opencore model), where RH sells the service(and derived upgrades) that are open source after development.
      And see what happens when you actually have something worth selling? You make money. Red Hat sells the privilege of running su -c 'yum update' against their servers and not having to deal with how bad their software actually is.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        That claim is ridiculous, of course. But just to be absolutely clear, the second part of my comment refers to the very notion of IQ testing--which I imagine mensa people are quite fond of.
        Are you saying an aptitude test can't possibly measure intelligence level? How dare you!

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Are you saying an aptitude test can't possibly measure intelligence level? How dare you!
          I know! It sounds heretical, doesn't it?! : D

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            And see what happens when you actually have something worth selling? You make money. Red Hat sells the privilege of running su -c 'yum update' against their servers and not having to deal with how bad their software actually is.
            Oracle development method produces a situation with TWO products, where it is: proprietary and working & opensource and buggy. This is called "opencore" model. Oracle ACTIVELY hinders opensource software becoming any BETTER than THEY want. This was the reason for LibreOffice fork.

            RH development method produces huge variety of patches, written by humans. You are paying FOR the privilege to download those patches, you are paying for human work. The patches, after rather short period, are made available to ALL. RH is THE driving force behind Linux Kernel.

            Oracle sells copies of their proprietary crap. RH sells human work. There is big difference - there is no proprietary and you are paying people and not purchasing copies with stripped rights! RH method is not the only one, another examples are Ardour and Blender.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              You realize the the origin of 'redneck' is from being a 'poor southern white farmer' right? Well I do own a farm, I am white, but not even close to poor or live in the south. Any ways their red neck came from doing hard work in the fields being in the sun all day.
              Oh you dont own the farm, you own only minor rights to use it under certain condition and to certain extent. And you don't have right to lookup what exactly you are seeding in the fields and eating. In Germany 90% of all medical cases are associated with food. America should be ~95%.


              Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Yup sure it is being hindered, by no one else more then it's own developers by choice.
              Right, Marek, Deutcher and Airlie are huge block themself, not open(?)gl 3+ patent crap.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Oh you dont own the farm, you own only minor rights to use it under certain condition and to certain extent.
                You are right, I can't turn it into a illegal drug farm, I can't place a nuke reactor on it, I can't legally murder a person on it but that has nothing really to do with owning the land as I can't do that if I didn't own the land either.

                And you don't have right to lookup what exactly you are seeding in the fields and eating. In Germany 90% of all medical cases are associated with food. America should be ~95%.
                Funny made up figures you have there but I guarantee you nearly 100% of all humans rely farmers produce to live period. And btw the common cold alone dwarfs food related illness.

                Right, Marek, Deutcher and Airlie are huge block themself, not open(?)gl 3+ patent crap.
                Any many many many more linux developers.

                Take a look at android, an opensource OS that allows closed source applications (and embraced them for the greater good of the end user experience) on it. It is no surprise that it took off like wildfire.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Take a look at android, an opensource OS that allows closed source applications (and embraced them for the greater good of the end user experience) on it. It is no surprise that it took off like wildfire.
                  Have you taken a look at what those closed-source apps do? They gather and sell your data, even data they have no reason to access, and to all buyers they can get their hands on.

                  And the only protection? Rooted phone, iptables.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Oracle development method produces a situation with TWO products, where it is: proprietary and working & opensource and buggy. This is called "opencore" model. Oracle ACTIVELY hinders opensource software becoming any BETTER than THEY want. This was the reason for LibreOffice fork.
                    I guess if you want to re-write history and claim that Oracle is actively committing commercial suicide by selling broken crap, then sure. You are mistaken, of course, those weren't the reasons for the split (1) and Lie-brrOffice is equally as broken and horrible as OpenOffice.

                    Simple test: run the phrase
                    Code:
                    This here grammar check don't work none a t'all
                    through both program's "grammar" and spell checks. Nothing will be highlighted. Clearly, both are stellar programs with nothing wrong.

                    As for the Calc, here is a perfect example of how horrible Calc's Excel support is: http://dnd4.com/dd-4th-edition-character-sheet

                    RH development method produces huge variety of patches, written by humans. You are paying FOR the privilege to download those patches, you are paying for human work. The patches, after rather short period, are made available to ALL. RH is THE driving force behind Linux Kernel.
                    You can spin it all you want, you are paying for security updates and at the higher level paying for not installing and configuring it.

                    Oracle sells copies of their proprietary crap. RH sells human work. There is big difference - there is no proprietary and you are paying people and not purchasing copies with stripped rights! RH method is not the only one, another examples are Ardour and Blender.
                    The industry leading database is not crap, Solaris is not crap, and unless Larry Ellison is some sort of robotics genius, both are coded by human beings. Oracle is clearly selling human work.

                    I find your dehumanizing attitude towards these people disturbing on a number of levels, so let's clear some things up:

                    * Software is a tool, not a social experience.
                    * Source code is not a basic right, if people choose to share it, good for them, if not, good for them.
                    * Software available under a permissive license will never make you more or less free than you already are.


                    (1) http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Have you taken a look at what those closed-source apps do?
                      They also allow the end user to do what they want to do.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                        I find your dehumanizing attitude towards these people disturbing on a number of levels, so let's clear some things up:

                        * Software is a tool, not a social experience.
                        Bingo!
                        * Source code is not a basic right, if people choose to share it, good for them, if not, good for them.
                        Bull's eye #2

                        * Software available under a permissive license will never make you more or less free than you already are.
                        Time to cash in your winning trifecta ticket.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by curaga View Post
                          Have you taken a look at what those closed-source apps do? They gather and sell your data, even data they have no reason to access, and to all buyers they can get their hands on.

                          And the only protection? Rooted phone, iptables.
                          Yep. There are a lot of dodgy apps in Android Market asking all sorts of permissions, and for a user it's not always clear if the app really needs them. There's a real trust problem here. That's a major downside of Android which is non-existent with your standard Linux distro and the repository scheme with its collection of open source apps.

                          Sad to say that Android is becoming the Microsoft Windows of mobile operating systems: A heaven for malware writers. And Google doesn't even seem to care

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                            And Google doesn't even seem to care
                            Why would they care? Their entire business model depends on data and stat retrieval to target a specific audience to maximize their profits.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X