No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=squirrl;181001]More often than naught I find myself longing for the good old days.[quote]

Really, with all the missing hardware drivers, impossible manual installs, and the days spend hacking together an operating system you could use?

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    A GUI tool will never be as all-encompassing as a command line tool.
    This is true to a point also, but some apps are only GUI tools these days. And the ones that provide options, are included by distributions anyway. So where is the problem?

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Ubuntu and Fedora are practically becoming the Ultima and Final Fantasy video game successions in which the final ones ended up being a pile of crap.
    In a Desktop sense, with the move to GNOME 3, and following upstream, this is true to the point of being flashy and shiny. But I disagree wholeheartedly on them being "a pile of crap".

The Fedora 14 release IMO is the best release I've used, in terms of hardware support and ease of use. It's not a flashy desktop by any means, there are a million pages on the internet on how to theme Ubuntu to hell and back, but you'll find few for Fedora.

Ubuntu has it's market, and they've concentrated on combining a lot of desktop integration into some controversial things like the personal menu, notifications, etc. Some of it helps people, a lot polarises people. But not everyone is happy with the status quo, and want to try something better.

You won't find many people who would prefer Windows 95 over Windows Vista, even with some of the UI changes that have come along. The fancy shiney stuff can be disabled if you want to, the basic underlying component is still a good improvement.

And old adage, Don't judge a book by it's cover, seems apt here.

Comment

Proclamation

Let it be known that from this day forward all version of Fedora will so be called, Fedora Fantasy! Then to let us call the Ubuntu, Ultimubuntu!

Comment

Working...
      X