Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel, Nokia's MeeGo Linux Hits Version 1.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel, Nokia's MeeGo Linux Hits Version 1.0

    Phoronix: Intel, Nokia's MeeGo Linux Hits Version 1.0

    Back in February, the Moblin and Maemo projects from Intel and Nokia, respectively, made love and out came MeeGo. The two industry players had joined forces to come up with what they feel is the best Linux platform for mobile devices ranging from netbooks to in-vehicle information systems. Version 1.0 of the MeeGo Core Software Platform has been released today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI5MA

  • #2
    cool.

    I doubt it'll work, but I'll see if it can be run on VirtualBox.

    Comment


    • #3
      oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow, that was fast. Can't wait for the Phoronix review.

        Comment


        • #5
          How scaleable are these anyway? We got a decent set of platforms now, but they are all tailored towards super high end phones. This typically means, huge form factor, really bad battery time, and super slow startup time, and an annoying touchscreen.

          I'm still looking to pick up simplistic phones, but i wouldn't mind beeing able to wrap up a custom program, and some freedom on how it displays and works.
          There doesn't seem to be anything like that, such phones i like use custom operating systems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Micket View Post
            How scaleable are these anyway? We got a decent set of platforms now, but they are all tailored towards super high end phones. This typically means, huge form factor, really bad battery time, and super slow startup time, and an annoying touchscreen.

            I'm still looking to pick up simplistic phones, but i wouldn't mind beeing able to wrap up a custom program, and some freedom on how it displays and works.
            There doesn't seem to be anything like that, such phones i like use custom operating systems.
            J2ME. It should be good enough for everything a simple phone can do. On the right phone you have access to data network and Bluetooth. There's a simple canvas for drawing graphics. The other UI widgets are pretty basic and would be the main limiting factor. If you need more get a smartphone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by calica View Post
              J2ME. It should be good enough for everything a simple phone can do. On the right phone you have access to data network and Bluetooth. There's a simple canvas for drawing graphics. The other UI widgets are pretty basic and would be the main limiting factor. If you need more get a smartphone.
              Ultimately locked to just beeing able to make another app/game accessed from the menu, which i find extremely uninteresting.
              I'm more interested in passive applications, typically changing the behaviour of the phone itself.

              I find that most phones are shit when it comes to displaying information quickly. I want to know what week it is, what date it is, how much money i have left right there on the front screen.
              More like customizing the OS rather than writing stand alone applications.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then
                Unless it's a late-model Athlon-64 or newer, no.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then
                  Uh... SSE3? Considering that there's a version of this for N900 (which happens to be a ARM Cortex-A8 based system...) I'm not quite sure where this remark you put out came from.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Uh... SSE3? Considering that there's a version of this for N900 (which happens to be a ARM Cortex-A8 based system...) I'm not quite sure where this remark you put out came from.
                    The Meego web site says the x86 version requires SSE3; you could presumably recompile for older CPUs but I doubt there's any point to doing so... the primary market would be Atoms. which have SSE3.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X