Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and yes: even today Linux is still the fastest and even faster than Windows (7) - even under largest load it (Linux) is still usable whereas windows (7) is not (the extreme is antivirus-scanning which always reliably makes windows stuttering - you have to account for that, too - since it's simply a part of Windows "culture" )

they really should introduce something like low-latency I/O subsystem setting - afaik it's handled via userspace in Windows whereas in Linux it's handled from the kernel side

Comment

• from what I understood:

apps can say they are using low latency functionality and windows uses it - so it's a per-program setting ??? (more flexibility)

whereas on Linux you have direct control over it (more instant-power/control)

Comment

• from what I understood:

apps can say they are using low latency functionality and windows uses it - so it's a per-program setting ??? (more flexibility)

whereas on Linux you have direct control over it (more instant-power/control)

Comment

• Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          and yes: even today Linux is still the fastest and even faster than Windows (7) - even under largest load it (Linux) is still usable whereas windows (7) is not (the extreme is antivirus-scanning which always reliably makes windows stuttering - you have to account for that, too - since it's simply a part of Windows "culture" )

they really should introduce something like low-latency I/O subsystem setting - afaik it's handled via userspace in Windows whereas in Linux it's handled from the kernel side
          I ran the peacekeeper benchmark on windows 7 without installing any antivirus. If I run peacekeeper benchmark with good antivirus I would have not got even 3000 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            well, you don't need to shout

anyways: did you disable cpu frequency switching or did you make sure that it's clocked at peak performance before benchmarking ? since - if not - that is falsifying results to a huge degree
            I shout since it is needed at this time when every one is paying money out of their pocket and buy windows when a more efficient OS is out there free. You may ask me why I am using it because it came with the laptop installed free. I did the benchmark on Lenovo ideapad it has frequency switch, which I set it to maximum power for windows 7 and there is no antivirus or any background process running at that time. For ubuntu and opensuse there is no frequency switch. I would say if I use cpu frequency (comes with all gnome linux) I would have got a higher score on linux.

Comment

Working...
            X