Benchmarks: Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
    Based on what people say about BFS it really shows that it has some benefits(like listening music and compiling something "without stuttering"),and performance gains.
    Yes, it has advantages like performance gains in some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
      I thought of the same. KMS and in case of UMS screen size matters as well.

If screen size was set bigger than current display resolution, it could cause worse performance (counts to UMS only).
      It's very like KMS vs. UMS. Quake3(live) on a X1500 radeon is unplayable with KMS. With UMS i get 125FPS pretty much all the time....

If you boot with radeon.modeset=0 you can disable it, X/mesa should still work.
      Would be nice if phoronix actually did a comparison between KMS/UMS, or just did a simple check if mandriva/pclinux has disabled KMS....).

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
        Woow,...I was thinking of trying PCLinuxOS for a long time,I newer imagined that it was that good.
        Seriously,BFS killed all distros in these tests.Too bad that it doesn't use all newest packages .
        What BFS do you mean, Breadth-First Search?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          What BFS do you mean, Breadth-First Search?
          BFS is the Brain Fuck Scheduler.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            BFS is the Brain Fuck Scheduler.

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/bfs-faq.txt
            Ah, okay. It would be nice if the information on software versions was contained in some sort of a table because I am having trouble deciphering it in its current format.

It is difficult to make heads or tails of these results to know exactly what is affecting each benchmark result.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
              Ah, okay. It would be nice if the information on software versions was contained in some sort of a table because I am having trouble deciphering it in its current format.

It is difficult to make heads or tails of these results to know exactly what is affecting each benchmark result.
              I've been using the bfs scheduler in PCLinuxOS for a couple of months. I don't believe the scheduler is responsible for the speed in these tests. Latency and responsiveness is usually in competition with throughput. It does make things seem faster, though!

Galen

Comment

I don't see why PCLinuxOS is used instead of Fedora 13. If the entire test is using 32-bit because of PCLinuxOS and it's based on Mandriva anyway. Why exclude Fedora 13? Just curious.

Carry on...

Comment

I'm not going to get into the 32 vs 64 bit issue as it's not really an issue for me, but I feel it's important for me to say to Phoronix that I very much appreciate this article and that I welcome more of this kind of content.

PClinuxOS has been my distribution of choice for several years now..... the "Radically Simple" slogan really means something to me as most other distros fail to support *all* my current hardware. PClinuxOS has always worked out of the box, on all of my 3 computers and so I stick with it. I do distro hop, checking out the other options as they become available, but as of today... none can compete with PClinuxOS and that includes Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) where I found one year it would work, the next not and then back to working again.

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "The more, the merrier" Zero

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    I don't see why PCLinuxOS is used instead of Fedora 13. If the entire test is using 32-bit because of PCLinuxOS and it's based on Mandriva anyway. Why exclude Fedora 13? Just curious.

Carry on...
                    There seams to be some confusion about PclinuxOS and its relationship with Mandriva.

Simply put, their relationship is not like that of mint and Ubuntu

PclinuxOS was last based off of Mandriva 2007.
                    Since then, it has survived,updated, and grown farther apart from its parent distro. They still retain the Mandriva Control Center (called PclinuxOS control center), but apart from that, there is very little that is the "same" about them. Mandriva and PclinuxOS are built separately from one another. The 2010 Beta release of PclinuxOS was built from the ground up.

Comment

As i understand and I may be wrong ,PCLinuxOS was always different from Mandriva only thing they have in common is packages and not many of them and that's it.Just sometimes when they stuck in releasing new content and making something new they return to the roots.But even then they would change everything to match their ideology.

BTW,...has anyone tried new BFS-315 with 2.6.33.I don't want to move from 2.6.32,I just don't want to break fglrx now that it actually works ok (most of the time).

Comment

Working...
                      X