Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Low-Latency Ubuntu Server Build Proposed

Phoronix: New Low-Latency Ubuntu Server Build Proposed

Canonical's Tim Gardner is seeking comments regarding a new build of Ubuntu Server that he is proposing. Canonical is considering another build of Ubuntu Server (there is already Ubuntu Server 32-bit and 64-bit along with specialized builds for cloud computing with Amazon EC2 and UEC), but this one would be specialized for just 64-bit platforms that have low-latency requirements and on power consumptive systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzg5Mw

WTH is with all this special Ubuntu versions?

If you want a low latency version then just offer a low-latency kernel that is a optional install and setup a group for realtime rights that a person can add a account to.

Does not seem a significant amount of difference from a normal server to justify a new variant.

Redhat is successful with working with companies that have special requirements like this. Figure out how they deal with it and see if it's worth copying.

I can do everything described above, and a lot more, just by taking a base Debian install and installing packages and reading the documentation provided by those packages.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      WTH is with all this special Ubuntu versions?

If you want a low latency version then just offer a low-latency kernel that is a optional install and setup a group for realtime rights that a person can add a account to.

Does not seem a significant amount of difference from a normal server to justify a new variant.

Redhat is successful with working with companies that have special requirements like this. Figure out how they deal with it and see if it's worth copying.

I can do everything described above, and a lot more, just by taking a base Debian install and installing packages and reading the documentation provided by those packages.
      Ya I don't see the need for a special ubuntu version as well. Why not just have a different kernel config package. Sounds like a lot of extra work for nothing. In openSUSE 11.2 we did just such a kernel package for a low latency desktop kernel.

Comment

I've moved on to Debian for my main OS. I still support Ubuntu, but some of their ideas leave me scratching my head. :\

Comment

bit misguided

Disabling C states? Why? The kernel has a perfectly fine API to control the latency via a file in /dev, and with that you only disable the C states that are needed, and only for the duration you care about latency.

Also, as of 2.6.32, the cpuidle code should be a lot better about reducing the average latency you get in practice..

Comment

Working...
          X