Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ReactOS May Begin Heavily Using Wine Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by krazy View Post
    Haha got some benchmarked PGO linux builds to back that statement up?
    Like the build distributed by Mozilla? Go ahead. You'll only confirm that it's not much better.

    And here's your "10% difference" :P

    http://tuxradar.com/content/browser-...-linux-firefox

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Like the build distributed by Mozilla? Go ahead. You'll only confirm that it's not much better.

      And here's your "10% difference" :P

      http://tuxradar.com/content/browser-...-linux-firefox
      Those tests are not from a current Firefox. In the comments it is stated that this discrepancy may have been fixed in Firefox 3.1 (now 3.5). I'd like to see new tests... maybe something for PTS?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Those tests are not from a current Firefox. In the comments it is stated that this discrepancy may have been fixed in Firefox 3.1 (now 3.5). I'd like to see new tests... maybe something for PTS?
        Current enough for you?

        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21264

        Yes FF in win still pummels the linux version.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Linux Firefox in inherently slower than Windows Firefox. Optimization has nothing to do with it. It's because some code is different between platforms and the Linux specific code doesn't get as much attention as the Windows one.
          Well optimization does have 'something' to do with it. The difference between using PGO and not using PGO can be quite big (typically 10-20% for me).

          Back on topic, if win32 subsystem is developing slower than the rest of the ReactOS project then I'd say that using Wine to 'emulate' rather than replicate win32 is a smart move.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by krazy View Post
            Haha got some benchmarked PGO linux builds to back that statement up?
            I asked on Firefox forum some time ago and someone said Firefox 3.6 should be much better on Linux then previous versions, so I believe RealNC is right.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              I asked on Firefox forum some time ago and someone said Firefox 3.6 should be much better on Linux then previous versions, so I believe RealNC is right.
              Did you look at the linked thread? Better yes, but still far behind the windows build of minefield.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                I asked on Firefox forum some time ago and someone said Firefox 3.6 should be much better on Linux then previous versions, so I believe RealNC is right.
                I am using FF 3.6 RC2 right now and indeed it feels much faster. I did not benchmark it against Windows, but I guess I'll do.

                And about PGO: who on earth has time to do that :P

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  And about PGO: who on earth has time to do that :P
                  Gentoo users.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Hang on.. none of the linked benchmarks compared PGO builds of firefox on linux. The whole point is that getting PGO linux builds working is an outstanding bug:
                    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=418866
                    ...which has already been resolved (and is routinely performed) for windows builds:
                    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361343

                    hopefully this is fixed by 3.6.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                      Gentoo users.
                      I am a Gentoo user and I really don't have the patience to compile everything twice with a test-run in-between for PGO

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by krazy View Post
                        Hang on.. none of the linked benchmarks compared PGO builds of firefox on linux. The whole point is that getting PGO linux builds working is an outstanding bug:
                        https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=418866
                        ...which has already been resolved (and is routinely performed) for windows builds:
                        https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361343

                        hopefully this is fixed by 3.6.
                        But if PGO counts for a 20% performance increase, then that's not everything that's wrong with the Linux build. Windows Firefox is 100% faster than Linux. Of course, Linux Firefox is also 80% better than Windows IE, but what else is new...

                        The only other thing I can find fault with is that the test obviously only tests Javascript performance. Page rendering performance, and general UI responsiveness is very important for user experience, but also difficult to test I guess.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Remco View Post
                          Page rendering performance, and general UI responsiveness is very important for user experience, but also difficult to test I guess.
                          UI responsiveness would especially be a hard one to test as a lot of the times issues with that comes from other subsystems such as video drivers.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                            Gentoo users.
                            And 'Arch' users

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                              I am a Gentoo user and I really don't have the patience to compile everything twice with a test-run in-between for PGO
                              How fast is your pc friend?

                              I have a dual-core Athlon (only $72 1 1/2 years ago), and I always have time to compile things because I can do it in the background. Sometimes I play Nexuiz while I recompile

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Core 2 Duo @ 3.33GHz with 6 gigs of RAM, but compiling everything *twice* and also doing the other necessary stuff for PGO (running and testing the programs before recompiling them again) is *not* my idea of fun.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X