Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moblin 2.1 IVI FC Released With New Intel Driver

Phoronix: Moblin 2.1 IVI FC Released With New Intel Driver

While Moblin 2.1 was released in early November, today at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Intel Corp just putout the Moblin 2.1 IVI FC release. Moblin 2.1 IVI FC marks this as being the "feature complete" version in this release series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apart from the gfx drivers, what's inthat FC release compared to a stock Moblin 2.1 ?

Comment

Maybe we can see some benchmarks this GMA3150 compared to old intel GFX chip any time soon?

Comment

Howto boot the image with vesa (or other supported driver):

Add 3 as boot option, login as root (pw: moblin), then

rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        init 5

done. The xorg.conf is preconfigured with 2 screens 1024x768 and 800x480 and iegd driver, very unlikely that this will be correct on normal netbooks/nettops with gma 500. It does use the old gui not the new one btw.
        Last edited by Kano; 06 January 2010, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Is the IEGD driver somehow new to the Phoronix staff? I've been using it for several weeks on US15W hardware and its been out much longer than that.

10.2.2 was released on nov 18th, so there I can say with great certainty that it contains no gallium3d goodness.

Comment

Can you show me

vainfo

with iegd?

Comment

what is vainfo?

Comment

what IVI is

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
                Apart from the gfx drivers, what's inthat FC release compared to a stock Moblin 2.1 ?
                IVI stands for "In Vehicle Infotainment"; so "stuff for in cars" in english.
                The Moblin IVI builds and releases aren't for netbooks, but for in-car computers.

Car manufacturers normally put their own user experience on such devices, so there is no "real" moblin UI for these builds, but just a basic placeholder embedded IVI developers can use to verify their hardware etc...

Comment

iegd? So thats where it was hiding! Anyone got this running under Debian or Arch yet?

Here are the juicy bits on iegd from the intel site:

Multiple-display support

Dual independent display ("extended mode") available when supported by the hardware
                  Twin mode (same display timings to two displays) is supported on hardware with a single video pipe
                  Dual video pipe systems enabled to drive more than two displays, using twin mode on each video pipe

2D acceleration

Improved performance of applications which take advantage of OS acceleration APIs, including X11 XAA interface, or Microsoft DirectDraw* interface

OpenGL for Linux

OpenGL on supported 2.6 kernel Linux distributions for advanced 3D graphics acceleration on dual independent displays
                  OpenGL ES 1.1 supported on the Intel? System Controller Hub US15W
                  Open GL 2.0 supported on Intel? System Controller Hub US15W on Linux*, Microsoft Windows XP*, Microsoft Windows XP Embedded* and Microsoft Windows CE*; on , Intel? Q45 Express Chipset, Intel? Q35 Express Chipset on Linux*

Upscaling

Lower-resolution modes can be displayed full screen with configurations that support upscaling (example: internal LVDS, and Chrontel* CH7308*)

Hardware video decode acceleration support (Intel? System Controller Hub US15W only)

Relieves decode burden from the processor, and reduces power consumption of the system MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264 and VC-1 formats supported in Wind River Linux,* Red Hat Embedded Linux* and Red Flag Linux* via VA-API

Anti - Aliasing (Intel? System Controller Hub US15W Only)

Minimizes distortion when displaying high-resolution video at lower resolutions. Supported on Linux*, Microsoft Windows XP*, Microsoft Windows CE*

No mention of hardware accelerated encoding as was hinted at in a previous phoronix article that I've seen, but I've not tried this out yet.
                  Last edited by danboid; 07 January 2010, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                    No mention of hardware accelerated encoding as was hinted at in a previous phoronix article that I've seen, but I've not tried this out yet.
                    This will be available when you can actually find Moorestown platforms, which are yet to be sighted... Hopefully they will emerge in a few hours at CES? Or are they drowned under all Tegra2 products? :-(

Comment

Working...
                    X