Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu is NOT a part of community

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by next9 View Post
    Im talking about 9.04 not the 9.10. In ubuntu 9.04, they included Linux 2.6.28 with new GEM, but because of the beginning of driver development for GEM and EXA -> UXA design change, Intel drivers were not ready for that kernel. Intel GPU performance was terrible in 9.04.
    Had Ubuntu shipped with the old drivers, many people would've complained about that.

    Also, for the sake of consistency, it would be nice of you to name all of the distros that shipped those drivers.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by mugginz View Post
      Had Ubuntu shipped with the old drivers, many people would've complained about that.

      Also, for the sake of consistency, it would be nice of you to name all of the distros that shipped those drivers.
      I can't. I don't know all the distributions. In SUSE I use, I did not noticed this problem.

      Including that driver was OK. But don't tell me again and again and again, how easy is Ubuntu and best for BFU, like Blackstar argue. That's not true. Maybe Fedora included that driver+kernel combination too. But I never heard any Fedora fan agitating for Fedora as the best exclusive BFU distro. That is the difference.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by next9 View Post
        Dont know about Mandriva, but Opensuse know to play mp3 by the default, Ubuntu does not. You just lie because even ubuntu needs external medibuntu repositories for varied multimedia.
        I've just re-installed OpenSuse 11.2 (KDE version) and I've found that I cant play mp3 files with either Kaffeine or Amorak.

        Do I need to install something else?

        Maybe mp3 playback's only included in the Gnome version by default?

        I might add to that neither Kaffeine nor Amorak asked to auto install mp3 support as Kubutnu would've.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          I've just re-installed OpenSuse 11.2 (KDE version) and I've found that I cant play mp3 files with either Kaffeine or Amorak.

          Do I need to install something else?

          Maybe mp3 playback's only included in the Gnome version by default?

          I might add to that neither Kaffeine nor Amorak asked to auto install mp3 support as Kubutnu would've.
          Yes. It is possible. Previous versions of Opensuse installed amarok-yauap-GStreamer backend with fluendo codecs for .mp3 multimedia. I hate GStreamer and prefer Xine, so I have not used this package for a long time and thus as I can see I was wrong with actual version. But I'm glad to see xine is default back again

          Even then, it is an easy task using one-click-install vie web browser. In Ubuntu, you have to search for medibuntu repository and add it into apt sources list manualy and specify packages you want.
          Last edited by next9; 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by next9 View Post
            Yes. It is possible. Previous versions of Opensuse installed amarok-yauap-GStreamer backend with fluendo codecs for .mp3 multimedia. I hate GStreamer and prefer Xine, so I have not used this package for a long time and thus as I can see I was wrong with actual version. But I'm glad to see xine is default back again

            Even then, it is an easy task using one-click-install vie web browser. In Ubuntu, you have to search for medibuntu repository and add it into apt sources list manualy and specify packages you want.
            Just installed a clean Ubuntu 9.10.

            Downloaded an mp3 file.

            Clicked it, and was prompted to install mp3 support.

            Click, click, enter password, restart playback program and hey-presto, mp3 playback.

            The OpenSuse one click install on the other hand requires that first a user needs to know about it before they can make use of it. This may not always be the case.

            This is in stark contrast to Ubuntu which actually asks the user do they want to install mp3 support, and after a few clicks, is enabled.

            No need to enable medibuntu repository.

            Comment


            • Agreed. i know that. Mp3 codecs are proposed automatically. But that's not help at all when everybody need to add medibuntu for other multimedia formats.

              I don't see any difference. Maybe .mp3 installation is automatical, but then I have to add medibuntu anyway for DVD or Windows media support. So why they help me with .mp3 whan I have to solve other format manually? Does it have a sense? I care a cuss whether I add one or twenty packages from medibuntu. Crucial thing is, i have to do it anyway.

              Comment


              • And. It is worth to say, Novell as American company is faced with idiotic SW patents threats. This is exclusive US problem. Canonical, as an European company is safe but Novell can be attacked anytime because of patented .mp3.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by next9 View Post
                  And. It is worth to say, Novell as American company is faced with idiotic SW patents threats. This is exclusive US problem. Canonical, as an European company is safe but Novell can be attacked anytime because of patented .mp3.
                  I'm not so sure Canonical is as immune from legal trouble as you suggest.

                  They do however make it very easy to enable playback of restricted formats if the end user so deems it legal in their particular region of the world.

                  Comment


                  • Does really anybody think that 1 person would care about that? When you don't install it then you hear absolutly no webstream in amarok for example. When you don't do a hd install of Kubuntu and you don't know what to install it is a very quiet solution

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by next9 View Post
                      I really does not understand what does this ugly mendacious ubuntu propaganda means! Mandriva you mentioned, has the same easy live CD installer. No unnecessary option. Just a name, disk partitions and install. Opensuse has this easy live CD too. This is not ubuntu exclusive!
                      You still don't get it. I highlighted how to install Ubuntu without a live cd and without repartitioning and you started rumbling that openSUSE has pretty live CD!

                      Do you know how an average, non-techy PC user thinks? Let me give you an real-world quote I heard a few weeks ago: "hey, I've run out of memory. I'm deleting my emails (in gmail), but I can't seem to get any memory back, what am I doing wrong?" Try explaining to that user how that "easy" openSUSE live CD works (simple stuff, repartition your drive, configure your package selection, install the boot loader to the MBR and you are set).

                      In case you still don't get it, the Ubuntu CD ships with a windows-based installer that doesn't need partitioning. Double click, next, next, reboot and you are in. That's what it takes to break the barrier.

                      Edit: it's also hilarious that you are calling me a liar based on your lack of reading comprehension skills. Great job, buddy!
                      Last edited by BlackStar; 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X