Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSuSE 11.2 Release Nears, Hits Final RC

Phoronix: OpenSuSE 11.2 Release Nears, Hits Final RC

On the same day as the Ubuntu 9.10 release, Novell has made available the final release candidate of the forthcoming OpenSuSE 11.2 update. OpenSuSE 11.2 Release Candidate 2 provides an updated (Linux 2.6.31-based) kernel, SeaMonkey 2.0, X Server 1.6.5, and updates to Samba and Firefox. The release announcement celebrating OpenSuSE 11.2 Release Candidate 2 can be found on the OpenSuSE news page. The final release of OpenSuSE 11.2 is expected on the 12th of November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quick summary of 11.2:

• Linux 2.6.31.5
    • kernel-desktop flavor: disabled group scheduler and groups, disabled optimize for size, enabled full preemption, set HZ=1000

• built with gcc 4.4.1, automake 1.11, glibc 2.10.1
    • php 5.3.0, Python 3.1, Valgrind 3.5

• Ext4 is default Filesystem

• Alsa 1.0.21, CUPS 1.3.11, Bluez 4.56, ndiswrapper 1.55, NetworkManager 0.7.1, PulseAudio 0.9.19
    • Apache 2.2.13, mysql 5.1.36, postresql 8.4.1, Postfix 2.6.1, Samba 3.4.2

• built with rpm 4.7.1
    • Most packages are linked with --as-needed option
    • libexecdir changed to %{_exec_prefix}/lib
    • debuginfo packages are generated for each sub-package
    • -lang packages are built as noarch

• zypp: more robust handling of mirrors
    • zypper: --download-only option added for in, up, patch, dup and ve commands (Fate#302159)
    • PackageKit 0.5.1

• radeonhd 1.3 X.org driver

• New Qt4-based YaST Control Center
    • YaST Qt package manager: configurable view layout

• Live-CDs can be deployed on USB sticks now (Feature 305658)
    • New on KDE Live-CDs: Choqok, Gimp, KNode, Kompare, KSystemlog, mc, Okteta, yakuake and more; OOo translations (i586 only)
    • New on GNOME Live-CDs: mc, Gimp, Transmission; OOo translations (i586 only)
    • Live-CDs are compressed with lzma
    • Live-CDs contain complete local printing stack
    • PulseAudio is disabled by default

Comment

This summary looks impressive! Especially Kernel settings, and PulseAudio disabled by default.

Comment

Will try the final KDE release :P

Comment

Don't forget the artwork. The greens aren't as in-your-face as previous releases. The bright florescent green had to go, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            This summary looks impressive! Especially Kernel settings, and PulseAudio disabled by default.
            Ya that was my proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              Don't forget the artwork. The greens aren't as in-your-face as previous releases. The bright florescent green had to go, IMO.
              Lol, first thing I did was put it back to bright green. Dirty green didn't look right and reminded me of drab ubuntu except with a green tinge instead of brown.

Comment

Working...
              X