Gentoo vs. Ubuntu performance comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo vs. Ubuntu performance comparison

LinuxMag has made a performance comparison of Gentoo at various gcc optimization levels against the previous release of Ubuntu (9.04).

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/1/

The X11 and 3D performance comparison is not meaningful, as they compare different versions of the NVidia proprietary driver. But other benchmarks are quite interesting.

Their conclusion:
    Originally posted by http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/3/
    Although we are not comparing apples to apples, Gentoo did out-perform Ubuntu in almost every test, and sometimes by a fair margin. It does appear that optimizing for a specific CPU can yield a decent performance increase.
    Of course the decision for or against Gentoo is not primarily due to performance, as the commenters point out.

Gentoo faster than Ubuntu? What else is new

Comment

Nice results, good to see some flags have meaningful impact on performance.

Comment

Different versions of Kernel, X server, Nvidia driver and completely different DEs. What conclusions can possibly be drawn from such a "comparison"?

Comment

With a little work the Gentoo system could have had the same versions of everything.

@krazy: actually they did match DEs - both Xfce4, but your point still stands.

Comment

I wanna see Archlinux thrown into the mix as well.

Comment

What's not faster than Ubuntu? Possibly Slowaris, but I can't think of anything else.

Comment

@krazy: Phoronix already tested the performance of different kernels. Some tasks are faster and some slower, but the assumption that kernel version skewed the results is not consistent with the almost sweeping win of the 2.6.30 based system over 2.6.28.

Different X server and NVidia driver affect X11 and 3D performance (that is why I said that this part of the comparison is meaningless), but not media encoding, database or similar tasks.

Both systems had the same gcc version and the same filesystem, so I would guess that the compute and I/O results are mostly valid.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmorph View Post
                  What's not faster than Ubuntu? Possibly Slowaris, but I can't think of anything else.
                  slowlaris, bsd and probably Fedora, because it has some 'heavy' things enabled.

Comment

a comparison of "time to install" would be fun

Comment

Originally posted by mits View Post
                      To make it a fair test, it'd have to include the time spent uninstalling all the unwanted crap that Ubuntu installs by default.

Comment

Originally posted by mits View Post
                        hahaha,

I remember my days of Gentoo, it was the first *nix OS I really used. Every other OS I tried (including windows) was slow as f$%# but Gentoo ran really really well...

Of course that computer was completely unusable most of the time because I was compiling this&that.

Gentoo taught me sooo much about linux...

Comment

"Time to install" has dropped immensely the last couple of years due to incredibly fast CPUs. It was no fun installing on a Pentium, Pentium 2 or even Pentium 3. It took days.

Today, even on my poor Core2 Duo, it's a matter of hours

Comment

the comparism is fair. They compared the latest stable ubuntu with the latest stable gentoo.

If you don't like the results, it coule be redone with unstable ubuntu and unstable gentoo.

It wouldn't change the overall result.

Me, I enjoy the fact that when I log into my desktop, no stupid gnome stuff is started, no mono taking away precious ram that could be used for caching files. I enjoy the fact that a lot of stuff is never installed. That I have the choice.

Local mail? Hm.. postfix!
                            I need a ftp server. Hm, that flag looks interessting, that feature too - and that one I will never use...

Comment

are any optimization compiler flags used for the ubuntu packages? (guess not)
                              Wouldn't it be nice to have an extra architecture in ubuntu that's fully optimized?

Comment

Working...
                              X