Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 Benchmarks

Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 was released last week and with all of its updated packages and changes compared to Ubuntu 9.04, we decided to carry out a fresh round of benchmarks comparing Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4. We used a Samsung NC10 for testing with an Intel Atom N270, 2GB of DDR2 memory, a 32GB OCZ Core Series V2 SSD, and Intel 945GME graphics.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14122

The overall performance / feel is that the 2D part is *way* snappier and faster than Ubuntu 9.04, even though I could only confirm this with AMD Radeon cards but I assume it's the same for others. The boot performance also gets better with every release. I guess the next Ubuntu LTS release with KMS/TTM/DRI2 for R1xx-R8xx maybe, Gnome 3.0 and the new Ubuntu theme will kick some serious ass :P

Comment

The GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs issue is weird. I don't have any clue regarding this regression's origin. Any way, ubuntu 9.04 seem to be an, already, good release !
      Note to Michael : If your run benchmark based on gtk performance, the gtk version of protagonist would be great in your introduction.

Comment

i like how the new system is generally faster

Comment

Many noticeably faster benchmarks with the latest alpha. It seems like this is better than other alphas for previous versions of Ubuntu from what I can remember. Way to go developers.

Comment

Since the test was done with a 945 intel graphics it would have been nice to see a comparison with the 8.10 release before all these new graphics updates were applied. As far as ive heard these updates made the system almost unusable on an atom netbook :/

Comment

What I'm more interested in at this time is what the boot time is at this point of the development =]

Comment

I've been running Karmic since alpha 1. Boot time has varied a lot with major updates, so its too soon to judge it fairly. It has remained faster than 9.04 though. I'd estimate about a 30% increase in boot speed, but I base that on absolutely nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X