No announcement yet.

Arch Linux 2009.08 Released With New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This last year I used Fedora 10 both at work and home. I used Gentoo for 5 years before that. I still much prefer Gentoo for the control and how clean and simple it is, even if Fedora is easier to install. I don't mind installing Gentoo since it's something you do once, but installing on many different machines binary distributions win.

Just recently I finally installed Arch on a test-machine, and I really like it! Pacman is super fast, and like Gentoo it KISS. Will definitely use Arch more in the future, but Gentoo will always have a special place in my heart as well as on my hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      I am a Debian Sid user now, and I just installed Arch in VBox to try it out...looks pretty damn good and I am starting to like it. The pacman package manager has many similarities to Debian's apt-get that should not be too hard to make the switch. Too many things broken in Debian now, so I am considering making a distro change soon and arch is on my list
      This, the pacman rosetta page, is also generally helpful when coming from another distro as far as package management is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by atriqus View Post
        This, the pacman rosetta page, is also generally helpful when coming from another distro as far as package management is concerned.
        Thanks, that's a pretty good comparison of how to do many common operations with the most common package managers including pacman

Bookmarked that page for reference in future.

Comment

Working...
        X