No announcement yet.

Help finding a Distro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, you can use a symlink... but explain to me why that is a better option?

Comment

because the symlink points to a versioned vmlinuz file and suddenly you know exactly which kernel will be booted. Even better, you can have douzends of kernels in /boot without any problems - if you want to boot a different one, just change the symlink. Wow, that is easy. And such a good thing to have.

But hey, continue to sell your distri as the next best thing. It is time to replace ubuntu as the greatest since sliced bread.

Comment

Gosh, energyman you just don't get it. You can put a version number to the filename if you insist, but it's not necessary. The version number is there even if it's not in the filename.

How difficult is for you to grasp this?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          But hey, continue to sell your distri as the next best thing. It is time to replace ubuntu as the greatest since sliced bread.
          right, because linux is definately not about choice, and one version is obviously and irrefutably the best, it doesn't matter that different distro's have completely different approaches to things, there is a *right* way do to something and a *wrong* way. and no matter what you say my choice is the *right* way.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Gosh, energyman you just don't get it. You can put a version number to the filename if you insist, but it's not necessary. The version number is there even if it's not in the filename.

How difficult is for you to grasp this?
            vmlinuz

which version is that?

and if you system updated the kernel, and the new one is called 'vmlinuz' how do you make sure it is the new one? Now you want to go back to an earlier version - because the new one is broken. Which one to choose?
            vmlinuz?
            or
            vmlinuz?

but continue to amuse me.

Comment

vmlinuz

which version is that?
              Ask the package manager.

and if you system updated the kernel, and the new one is called 'vmlinuz' how do you make sure it is the new one? Now you want to go back to an earlier version - because the new one is broken. Which one to choose?
              vmlinuz?
              or
              vmlinuz?
              Ask the package manager.

You can also use the package manager to rollback. RTFM.

but continue to amuse me.
              Crawl back to your hole.

Comment

Ask the package manager
                But what if you have multiple kernels installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  But what if you have multiple kernels installed?
                  Didn't you use the package manager to install those kernels?

To install a kernel, you'll probably write or download a PKGBUILD, create a package and install it with "pacman -U". Which means the package manager is well aware of any kernels you have installed.

If you actually subverted pacman by installing the kernel manually, well you broke it and you get to keep the pieces.

Edit: read the following for more information.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...ation_with_ABS
                  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...on_From_Source
                  Last edited by BlackStar; 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Didn't you use the package manager to install those kernels?

To install a kernel, you'll probably write or download a PKGBUILD, create a package and install it with "pacman -U". Which means the package manager is well aware of any kernels you have installed.

If you actually subverted pacman by installing the kernel manually, well you broke it and you get to keep the pieces.
                    That's apparent, I mean the package manager lets you install multiple kernels simultaneously? If yes then what names do the images have?

Comment

That's apparent, I mean the package manager lets you install multiple kernels simultaneously? If yes then what names do the images have?
                      Yes, you can install multiple kernels simultaneously. The process is trivial and the images have whichever name you decide to give them.

Seriously, read the links above. The sample PKGBUILD recommends using the LOCALVERSION variable to define unique custom names in the form kernel26%LOCALVERSION%. However, you are free to ignore this and use a completely custom name: kernel-2.6.69-energyman-special.

Comment

I won't pretend to have read every single word of this thread, but if you have multiple kernel versions then it's generally a good idea to symlink (typically vmlinuz) to your kernel, and have grub boot from that.
                        The reason this is a good idea is not for ease of every-day use, but for when things go wrong - boot up your livecd, inspect filesystem and see what kernel it's trying to boot, and change if necessary.
                        Typically the kernel's own make file will take care of auto-updating the symlink (after "make install").

Comment

Yes, you can install multiple kernels simultaneously. The process is trivial and the images have whichever name you decide to give them.

Seriously, read the links above. The sample PKGBUILD recommends using the LOCALVERSION variable to define unique custom names in the form kernel26%LOCALVERSION%. However, you are free to ignore this and use a completely custom name: kernel-2.6.69-energyman-special.
                          You edited your previous post after I posted mine and thus I didn't see the links.
                          Anyway, the process I see there, is the traditional kernel.org way, but plz don't make me read all the details in these pages, I could find them myself if I really wanted
                          All that I'm asking is an Arch-user to tell me from his experience if it is possible to install multiple ready kernels from the package manager and not by compiling them on his own.

*PLZ an appeal to all the users. Do not edit your posts after someone else has already replied. It leads to misunderstandings. If you edit it and in the proccess someone replies then delete your edit and make it a separate post. Thank you

Comment

My oh my such lively debate here. I believe the OP of this thread needed help looking for a distro, yet now it turned into a debate over kernels

Seems some people have had too much caffeine

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                              My oh my such lively debate here. I believe the OP of this thread needed help looking for a distro, yet now it turned into a debate over kernels

Seems some people have had too much caffeine
                              I challenge you to find a thread in these very forums that have not turned into some kind of debates

Comment

I challenge you to find a thread in these very forums that have not turned into some kind of debates
                                Yep that's true...happens on just about any forum. This one sure has so many passionate members indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X