Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding a Distro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    yes, you can use a symlink... but explain to me why that is a better option?

    Comment


    • #32
      because the symlink points to a versioned vmlinuz file and suddenly you know exactly which kernel will be booted. Even better, you can have douzends of kernels in /boot without any problems - if you want to boot a different one, just change the symlink. Wow, that is easy. And such a good thing to have.

      But hey, continue to sell your distri as the next best thing. It is time to replace ubuntu as the greatest since sliced bread.

      Comment


      • #33
        Gosh, energyman you just don't get it. You can put a version number to the filename if you insist, but it's not necessary. The version number is there even if it's not in the filename.

        How difficult is for you to grasp this?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by energyman View Post
          But hey, continue to sell your distri as the next best thing. It is time to replace ubuntu as the greatest since sliced bread.
          right, because linux is definately not about choice, and one version is obviously and irrefutably the best, it doesn't matter that different distro's have completely different approaches to things, there is a *right* way do to something and a *wrong* way. and no matter what you say my choice is the *right* way.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Gosh, energyman you just don't get it. You can put a version number to the filename if you insist, but it's not necessary. The version number is there even if it's not in the filename.

            How difficult is for you to grasp this?
            vmlinuz

            which version is that?

            and if you system updated the kernel, and the new one is called 'vmlinuz' how do you make sure it is the new one? Now you want to go back to an earlier version - because the new one is broken. Which one to choose?
            vmlinuz?
            or
            vmlinuz?

            but continue to amuse me.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by energyman View Post
              vmlinuz

              which version is that?
              Ask the package manager.

              Originally posted by energyman View Post
              and if you system updated the kernel, and the new one is called 'vmlinuz' how do you make sure it is the new one? Now you want to go back to an earlier version - because the new one is broken. Which one to choose?
              vmlinuz?
              or
              vmlinuz?
              Ask the package manager.

              You can also use the package manager to rollback. RTFM.

              Originally posted by energyman View Post
              but continue to amuse me.
              Crawl back to your hole.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Ask the package manager
                But what if you have multiple kernels installed?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  But what if you have multiple kernels installed?
                  Didn't you use the package manager to install those kernels?

                  To install a kernel, you'll probably write or download a PKGBUILD, create a package and install it with "pacman -U". Which means the package manager is well aware of any kernels you have installed.

                  If you actually subverted pacman by installing the kernel manually, well you broke it and you get to keep the pieces.

                  Edit: read the following for more information.

                  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...ation_with_ABS
                  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...on_From_Source
                  Last edited by BlackStar; 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Didn't you use the package manager to install those kernels?

                    To install a kernel, you'll probably write or download a PKGBUILD, create a package and install it with "pacman -U". Which means the package manager is well aware of any kernels you have installed.

                    If you actually subverted pacman by installing the kernel manually, well you broke it and you get to keep the pieces.
                    That's apparent, I mean the package manager lets you install multiple kernels simultaneously? If yes then what names do the images have?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      That's apparent, I mean the package manager lets you install multiple kernels simultaneously? If yes then what names do the images have?
                      Yes, you can install multiple kernels simultaneously. The process is trivial and the images have whichever name you decide to give them.

                      Seriously, read the links above. The sample PKGBUILD recommends using the LOCALVERSION variable to define unique custom names in the form kernel26%LOCALVERSION%. However, you are free to ignore this and use a completely custom name: kernel-2.6.69-energyman-special.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I won't pretend to have read every single word of this thread, but if you have multiple kernel versions then it's generally a good idea to symlink (typically vmlinuz) to your kernel, and have grub boot from that.
                        The reason this is a good idea is not for ease of every-day use, but for when things go wrong - boot up your livecd, inspect filesystem and see what kernel it's trying to boot, and change if necessary.
                        Typically the kernel's own make file will take care of auto-updating the symlink (after "make install").

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                          Yes, you can install multiple kernels simultaneously. The process is trivial and the images have whichever name you decide to give them.

                          Seriously, read the links above. The sample PKGBUILD recommends using the LOCALVERSION variable to define unique custom names in the form kernel26%LOCALVERSION%. However, you are free to ignore this and use a completely custom name: kernel-2.6.69-energyman-special.
                          You edited your previous post after I posted mine and thus I didn't see the links.
                          Anyway, the process I see there, is the traditional kernel.org way, but plz don't make me read all the details in these pages, I could find them myself if I really wanted
                          All that I'm asking is an Arch-user to tell me from his experience if it is possible to install multiple ready kernels from the package manager and not by compiling them on his own.

                          *PLZ an appeal to all the users. Do not edit your posts after someone else has already replied. It leads to misunderstandings. If you edit it and in the proccess someone replies then delete your edit and make it a separate post. Thank you

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            My oh my such lively debate here. I believe the OP of this thread needed help looking for a distro, yet now it turned into a debate over kernels

                            Seems some people have had too much caffeine

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                              My oh my such lively debate here. I believe the OP of this thread needed help looking for a distro, yet now it turned into a debate over kernels

                              Seems some people have had too much caffeine
                              I challenge you to find a thread in these very forums that have not turned into some kind of debates

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                                I challenge you to find a thread in these very forums that have not turned into some kind of debates
                                Yep that's true...happens on just about any forum. This one sure has so many passionate members indeed

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X