Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 12 Is Codenamed Constantine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Well it has little relevance. The theme for Fedora has been great historical leaders.
    Great leaders like Sulphur, Moonshine, Heidelburg and Werewolf ?
    What ARE you thinking ?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      The theme for Fedora has been great historical leaders.
      The theme changes for every release, in such a way that it could be argued that every release after the first one actually shares two themes. What they do is take the current name and try to link it to a new name, without reusing the previous link. According to the official theme links, Leonidas was named for the USS Leonidas (per the USS Cambridge), and Constantine was named for Constantine, Michigan (per Leonidas Township, Michigan).

      Comment


      • #13
        The submitter didn't give anything in way of ideas for next theme.

        So Constatine is ..., as ______ is also ...

        Per Fedora naming convention ("The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Cambridge to Leonidas, nor any other previous link."), so another city theme is out.

        You cannot use the DC character (Constantine in Hellblazer) as a theme because anything relating to it would probably be protected by copyright. (You cannot call it "Bruce", as in Bruce Wayne.)

        Also, Constantine as a Roman ruler, runs the risk of being boring. Note all the kings listed in Fedora 12 name suggestions that did not make it past the first round.


        So what do we have left? Basically, you could use movie titles, emporers, and not much else.


        Still disappointed they didn't let Elvis pass legal.



        Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
        The theme changes for every release, in such a way that it could be argued that every release after the first one actually shares two themes. What they do is take the current name and try to link it to a new name, without reusing the previous link. According to the official theme links, Leonidas was named for the USS Leonidas (per the USS Cambridge), and Constantine was named for Constantine, Michigan (per Leonidas Township, Michigan).

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
          The submitter didn't give anything in way of ideas for next theme.

          So Constatine is ..., as ______ is also ...
          It's a pretty common name; you can take any moderately famous person, place, or thing with that name and link out based on occupation, historical significance, or whatever. To give a lame example, Constantine is the first name of an opera composer (Constantine Koukias), and so is Wilhelm (Wilhelm Richard Wagner).

          Originally posted by The_Monkey_King
          Per Fedora naming convention ("The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Cambridge to Leonidas, nor any other previous link."), so another city theme is out.
          Elsewhere it says that the only hard rule is that the previous link not be reused, but that they also prefer to not reuse any of the previous links (Leonidas -> Constantine as "towns" is pretty much a fig leaf over the fact that just a few releases ago it was Sulphur -> Cambridge as "cities").

          Originally posted by The_Monkey_King
          You cannot use the DC character (Constantine in Hellblazer) as a theme because anything relating to it would probably be protected by copyright. (You cannot call it "Bruce", as in Bruce Wayne.)
          Copyright doesn't protect names. Trademark does, but the scope of protection is very different; it's pretty common for products and companies in different industries to use the same name. In fact, they already used a DC character for FC 6: "Zod".

          Comment


          • #15
            Ex-Cyber gives really good examples. Thanks!

            So really while it is fun & games to participate in the naming game, it really falls to the Red Hat folks to pick what they like.

            So we all, most of all me, should just take the rules and names with a grain of salt and let it go...muthafarkers...

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
              Still disappointed they didn't let Elvis pass legal.
              You really would be happy if Fedora was named Elvis?

              Comment

              Working...
              X