Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Mac OS X 10.5.6 Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Based on the fact Michael had to buy his own Mac Mini, and if I remember right the cheapest one at that, I doubt Apple had anything to do with it.

    Once we start seeing some Mac Pro benchmarks with dual quad Xeons, that's when we need to start worrying

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Based on the fact Michael had to buy his own Mac Mini, and if I remember right the cheapest one at that, I doubt Apple had anything to do with it.

      Once we start seeing some Mac Pro benchmarks with dual quad Xeons, that's when we need to start worrying
      There already is MacPro benches in PTS Global. Even some G5 stuff.

      Comment


      • #78
        It is true that this paragraph from the conclusion of that benchmark is extremely positive for Apple and totally negative for Ubuntu:
        Overall, Mac OS X 10.5.6 already outpaces Ubuntu 9.04 when it comes to many respects of the desktop and server performance. With the introduction of Mac OS X 10.6.0 "Snow Leopard" in a few months, the Apple gains will likely widen considering the efforts they are putting forth on improving the performance via a smaller memory footprint, OpenCL, etc. The graphics performance in Ubuntu 9.10, which will be out after the release of Mac OS X 10.6, may improve with Intel working to fix its regressions and Gallium3D could be enabled in time. Beyond improving the graphics performance and potentially some minor performance improvements thanks to an updated Linux kernel (well, a big improvement in SQLite unless they regress again) and the newer GCC 4.4 series, we would not anticipate the Ubuntu 9.10 performance to be drastically different.
        while the next days we saw that 9.10 alpha was significantly faster that 9.04.
        Imho Michael should emphasize that this was the 32 bit version of Ubuntu and truth to be told there was not any difference between this one and the benchmark that took place 1 year ago. Back then MacOSX was even faster than 32 bit Ubuntu but slower than 64 bit. So he should have said "stay tuned, till 64 bit benchmarks are out to actually see if MacOSX took indeed the lead"!
        Personally, with a clear install and ext4 I anticipate the gap between 64 bit Ubuntu and MacOSX to be even bigger than the previous one because the 32 bit gap now is lower than the previous one.
        Maybe he was just lazy to try 64bit Ubuntu, but yes this unfair benchmark will work for Apple's favour finally

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          I'm starting to worry now. What we saw was very good Macos advertisement. Ubuntu 32 bit and slow Ext 3 (when compared to Ext 4) vs Macos with 64 bit capabilities and fs which buffers writes... Many portals will copy this benchmark and many people will buy it. I sometimes wonder if apple keeps its dirty hands on Phoronix?
          lol first of all some serious fudging occured in the benchmarks, we all know this and you acknowledged that.

          Whats the end result? perhaps something similar to this by apple:

          http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx

          Unfortunately, Anyone with half a brain can tell that this is a load of BS. The movers and shakers are knowledgeable enough to compare apples to apples.

          I dont think apple is stupid enough to make the same mistake microshaft made here. I wonder how many millions Microsoft paid for this pointless ad campaign XD.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            lol first of all some serious fudging occured in the benchmarks, we all know this and you acknowledged that.

            Whats the end result? perhaps something similar to this by apple:

            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx

            Unfortunately, Anyone with half a brain can tell that this is a load of BS. The movers and shakers are knowledgeable enough to compare apples to apples.

            I dont think apple is stupid enough to make the same mistake microshaft made here. I wonder how many millions Microsoft paid for this pointless ad campaign XD.
            I don't know if apple is as stupid as ms, but I already saw many noobs which believe this FUD :/ If you type 9.04 vs macos in Google you'll see many sites which mindlessly copied this comparision... Michael can proof Ubuntu outperforms Macos, but it seems he's not interested.

            Comment


            • #81
              If I could afford at this time the money to buy a mac-mini...

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                If I could afford at this time the money to buy a mac-mini...
                It's not worthy IMHO. Only few people would see your benchmarks. Of course if you don't own such portal like Phoronix

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Many portals will copy this benchmark and many people will buy it. I sometimes wonder if apple keeps its dirty hands on Phoronix?
                  Hahaha, wow. Apple has never even contacted Phoronix or me for that matter.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Hahaha, wow. Apple has never even contacted Phoronix or me for that matter.
                    Whatever, what about promised x86_64 benchmark? And Ext 4 as a bonus will be nice...

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Whatever, what about promised x86_64 benchmark? And Ext 4 as a bonus will be nice...
                      They're in the publishing queue for tomorrow morning.
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        They're in the publishing queue for tomorrow morning.
                        Great to hear that!

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Great news!

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            They're in the publishing queue for tomorrow morning.
                            Obviously you're not shocked, Linux users are quick to defend Linux, go figure.

                            Of course Linux has it's failures, I'm a big critic myself but still love Linux. It's of course important to admit (hopefully temporary!) defeat where appropriate though. I think the main reason for the way Linux users are is because since it's a community OS, many take it personally when things aren't good enough. In a sense, they're right, it is a failure of the community as a whole.

                            Perhaps an update for any progress in fixing any bugs and regressions if any caused those tests is in order, as well as more benchmarks which may be fairer/balanced and not purely Mac-oriented. For instance, since Mac also can run I think both AMD and Nvidia graphics, etc, or basically since you can install OS X on a normal computer that may not be so niche in Mac's favour, perhaps that would be an interesting experiment, at the risk of then being "not fair" with respect to Mac.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                              Obviously you're not shocked, Linux users are quick to defend Linux, go figure.

                              Of course Linux has it's failures, I'm a big critic myself but still love Linux. It's of course important to admit (hopefully temporary!) defeat where appropriate though. I think the main reason for the way Linux users are is because since it's a community OS, many take it personally when things aren't good enough. In a sense, they're right, it is a failure of the community as a whole.
                              Hehehe exactly! No wonder why Linux has by far the most fanatic lovers of the OSes

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                                Hehehe exactly! No wonder why Linux has by far the most fanatic lovers of the OSes
                                Yup. ^^

                                Linux really solves a lot of issues of freedom, too, that really irks for instance Windows users. However, there are features/freedoms on those "other" OSes (sorry, couldn't help myself) that Linux also needs to adopt that Linux users should have the luxury and freedom of enjoying as well. Speed is certainly one of those things, as is universal packaging standards, but I won't get into that here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X