Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Last Hurrah For USplash: A New Theme

Phoronix: One Last Hurrah For USplash: A New Theme

Pushed into the Jaunty repository this morning for Ubuntu 9.04 was a new theme for USplash. This Canonical project for providing a splash screen at boot-up on Ubuntu is being replaced by Plymouth with Ubuntu 9.10 (the Karmic Koala release), but there is a new Ubuntu theme as one last hurrah...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzE1MQ

Not very impressive.

Comment

A screenshot would be appreciated

Comment

Why is it that whenever X starts up there's always some garbled mess on the screen before the mouse cursor shows up?

Comment

With F11, I get 0 mess today

Comment

dont you trust in ext4, or why else do you still use ext3?

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
              Why is it that whenever X starts up there's always some garbled mess on the screen before the mouse cursor shows up?
              Depends on the driver, I guess. I've never seen it happen on any of mine... (well, except when opengl stuff crashes)

Comment

I don't get it, what's so exciting about a boot splash screen? Better try to improve boot times, suspend/resume support and power management so there's no need to watch a useless splash screen, really.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  I don't get it, what's so exciting about a boot splash screen? Better try to improve boot times, suspend/resume support and power management so there's no need to watch a useless splash screen, really.
                  It just shows that they are finally working on the looks.

Comment

it happens in xf86-video-ati driver.

i guess memory is not cleared before display is initialized. i can see checkerboard of my previous desktop session even after hot reboot of the entire system (ctrl+alt+del one).

Comment

Tbh, someone should code in a little silly game to play while the system is loading. Pong would be excellent.

Splash screen with a game >>>>>>> all graphic effects.. You would probably even see people rebooting just to finish stage 1 :|

Maybe forcing the system back in the load process for every ball you dont catch? And give you bonus load time by not loading all the system components - might be an advantage for vista

Comment

Lilo has some games that can be used while you ponder which OS choice to boot

Comment

The theme is so wonderful. Nobody can live without it...

Comment

Working...
                          X