No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.04 Will NOT Ship With The Linux 2.6.29 Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are ext4 backports, but for all who like to use 2.6.29 in a correct way (packaged) you can do this:

sudo apt-get install kernel-package fakeroot

cd dir-with-source

LANG= make-kpkg --initrd --rootcmd fakeroot --revision 1 --us --uc kernel_image kernel_headers

then you get 2 debs - which work fine with dkms too. In case your kernel-package is too old just fetch the one from Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/k...ckage/download

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
      I've been using 2.6.29 on F10 (they already have test packages) due to wifi problems, and looked like a great kernel to me. Not sure the Ubuntu folks really know what they are doing kernel wise, of course
      I think the Ubuntu devs made an informed decision here, and just because a kernel still in devlopment worked well for you, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea for Ubuntu to adopt it (especially at this stage of their release cycle).

Comment

I never thought Ubuntu prided itself on being a bleeding edge distribution. So, what's the problem? They've got the stable 2.6.28, and they've got... 2 months to fix whatever bugs need to be fixed. Good call on their part.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          Except that the only big feature of OOo3 was the ms compatibility, which ubuntu's 2.4 version was patched with. So people just fussed over nothing.
          Actually on my netbook, OOo 3 starts up far far faster than 2.4. I don't really care about MS compatibility that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Except that the only big feature of OOo3 was the ms compatibility, which ubuntu's 2.4 version was patched with. So people just fussed over nothing.

Actually, there appears some minor OO formatting changes (it dinks up a few things in Impress at the least...not sure why, but...)- if you've got someone using OO.org 3, and you get something from there, the content opens, but you may find some minor reformatting work needing to be done there. I found this out by doing a VirtualBox demo and did some editing between the 2.4 version and the 3.0 version on the Windows side and ended up needing to have the same versions in hand to pull my stupid PC stunt with VirtualBox (i.e. Editing the slides in the XP VM, doing it again in the Linux side directly, and then back again on the XP side.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
              I never thought Ubuntu prided itself on being a bleeding edge distribution. So, what's the problem? They've got the stable 2.6.28, and they've got... 2 months to fix whatever bugs need to be fixed. Good call on their part.
              They shipped an unreleased version of Firefox in an LTS release and I think everyone that struggled with PulseAudio would disagree with that statement. However, they haven't forgotten they run servers too so I expected them to be reasonably conservative with choice of kernel. I look forward to it anyway, skipped 8.10 and will go from 8.04 to 9.04

Comment

If you need or want/like a blending edge distribution with the latest Kernel, Xorg, DE or WM, you can use a rolling release distro.

There are some of those, my favorite is Arch Linux. You have only to install the OS once and update. You don't have to wait 6 or 8 months to have the latest upstream stable software.

Comment

Working...
                X