Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Shuttleworth Wants Pictures Of Your Desktop

Phoronix: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Pictures Of Your Desktop

Mark Shuttleworth, the space tourist and founder of Canonical, has made a special request: he wants to see your desktop. Mark is requesting that everyone send him screenshots of your desktop in action...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well I wonder if he has a full mailbox by the end of the week

Here's my contribution to that mess

(Mockup of my 6 virtual desktops runnung 1280x1024 each)

Stupid tinypics makes the pictures look tiny ... d'oh.

Comment

Odd request, but I'm all for providing a study case to make my work with the desktop easier.

Comment

Just in case the email I sent to Mike doesn't get delivered and he would be looking around here:

Comment

I understand it may be useful to have all images sized the same size, but how I use my desktop changes with resolution. If I were limited to 1024x768 most of my windows would be maximized. The means I use to switch between windows would change. I often use several applications at once and often in such a fashion that I can see information from more than one at a time. At 1024x768 behavior is less likely because screen real estate is more scarce than the 1920x1200 that I'm used to.

So while I could jump down to 1024x768 and take a screen shot, I'm not sure how useful that would be. You won't catch me in my "native" state. For me it significantly changes the way I place things on the screen and what settings I use.

Does he want KDE shots too or just Gnome?

Comment

I've sent KDE 3 shots along with a notice that I make KDE 3 (Qt 3), KDE 4 (Qt 4) and Gnome (Gtk) apps look the same by using the QtCurve widget style which is available for Qt3/Qt4/Gtk and makes everything look the same.

(Click for full size.)

Gah, how on earth did I manage to use my PC on 1024x768 back in the days of my 15" monitor years ago?

Comment

Working...
            X