No announcement yet.

KDE 4.1.2 Released, Deletes Files Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "core" stuff is all there. The bugs get fewer and fewer with each passing day. The faster file deletion is a big help (now my bottleneck is NFS once again, which is to say "not much of a bottleneck at all").

Not too many pieces missing now. Powerdevil is there and works great, but needs a more obvious interface (using Krunner is great, but who is going to know to do that?). Amarok2 needs to get done. And someone needs to work some magic with Solid and make a KNetworkManager replacement.

Comment

^^You forgot K3B, the best Disc burning utility ever.
      Its still note done for KDE4.
      I use an SVN release, and it crashes before I even finish adding all the files.
      The current state does everything except the part where I click the burn button and expect it to burn. Instead, it gives some errors.

I hope that we see KDE 4.2 to be released this year end has the old features back.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
        I hope that we see KDE 4.2 to be released this year end has the old features back.
        erm... you mean next year (late january)

Comment

^^You forgot K3B, the best Disc burning utility ever.
          Its still note done for KDE4.
          I use an SVN release, and it crashes before I even finish adding all the files.
          The current state does everything except the part where I click the burn button and expect it to burn. Instead, it gives some errors.

Although Amarok and K3B are both essential apps, I was under the impression that they weren't a part of the core of KDE (like Quanta and Kopete) and instead were separate projects (like KOffice).

Comment

@Metal Head:
            D'oh! Now that I've got my file server working wonderfully, I tend to forget about k3b. Everything's on an NFS share that I access from everywhere. Worst case scenario, I need to move things to a thumb drive....

@JoeSixPack:
            Technically, you're right. Reading developer blogs, you'd never guess it, though. Amarok is doing just as much to push the "pillars of KDE4" as anything else.

Comment

@jeffro-tull

Without a doubt. Amarok and K3B are 2 of the best Linux apps hands down, regardless of DE association.

Having said that, there's always been a blurred line between OS/DE usability and stability and "non-core" apps. If an essential, but non-core application doesn't work, the average end user blames the DE or OS for not being ready - but who's really to blame?

(I should go on record as saying that no one is to blame. If you don't like KDE4, then just use KDE3. They made 3.5 quite stable, and kept it up to date for a reason...)

Comment

Whatever people say, its a FACT that an OS always needs a disc burner.

And yeah, what happened to Kaffeine ? I think its one of the most feature rich media players ever, beating MPlayer and all misc xine frontends without much effort. Only VLC has got features which Kaffeine lacks, but Kaffeine can play almost all formats and its interface is much more usable since it has a built in file browser.

Comment

Whatever people say, its a FACT that an OS always needs a disc burner.

And yeah, what happened to Kaffeine ? I think its one of the most feature rich media players ever, beating MPlayer and all misc xine frontends without much effort. Only VLC has got features which Kaffeine lacks, but Kaffeine can play almost all formats and its interface is much more usable since it has a built in file browser.
                  according to the kaffeine devs phonon is not up to the task for them, so they have to wait for it to improve...

something called kaffeineGL was imported into svn about a month ago.

Thats about it for the whereabouts of kaffeine.

These days I just use smplayer, good but I really would appreciate a kio enabled media player,

Comment

I'm also hopping that the kde 4 versions of Amarok, K3b, Kaffeine, Konversation, Koffice, KNetworkManager, Digikam and some others are finished ported.
                    And also the Qt version of Firefox and a Qt aMule!

Comment

Working...
                    X