Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.1.2 Released, Deletes Files Faster

Phoronix: KDE 4.1.2 Released, Deletes Files Faster

KDE 4.1.2 is now available as another monthly point update for the KDE 4.1 code-base. This release contains several enhancements to this desktop environment, among which is the new JavaScript bytecode interpreter "Frostbyte" for KHTML, Kopete fixes, KGpg fixes, and the delete file operation has been sped up by approximately 32 times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best just got better

Comment

What the... I thought Phoronix was being silly in reporting the faster file deletion. But checking the official kde site, they really do list that as a top feature!

lmao.

even if that's the case, it means several things - deleting files was 32 times slower before, and/or their PR has no idea what are they doing

Comment

Time to update my KDE box . But the thing still has a long ways to go before I can confidently get rid of my KDE3 install.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          What the... I thought Phoronix was being silly in reporting the faster file deletion. But checking the official kde site, they really do list that as a top feature!

lmao.

even if that's the case, it means several things - deleting files was 32 times slower before, and/or their PR has no idea what are they doing
          It really was 32 times slower as before when deleting a single file the directory contents were rechecked and repopulated. As you can imagine on directories with large numbers of files, deleting took forever if you were deleting more than one file.

Either way it isn't so much a new feature, more of a bugfix

Comment

KDE is every day (month) better. Can't wait to see the stable KDE 4.2

Comment

Deleting 5000 files went from 8 minutes to 15 seconds - http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3683

Comment

I think KDE still has a long way to go if KDE4 needs to reimplement the same old features that KDE3 had.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
                  I think KDE still has a long way to go if KDE4 needs to reimplement the same old features that KDE3 had.
                  Yes, of course but it takes time, maybe in KDE 4.3 you will have a full futures KDE compared to the 3.5 version.

For example, a top future that was missed in KDE 4 was the panel auto hiding, now (since 4.1.1 I think) it is possible.

Also when KDE 3 came out, it was not complete.
                  The same happens all the time...

Comment

Wow, autopanel hiding and x32 time improvement in deleting files! This thing really rocks, I can't wait to install it! Only for the sake of it, I think I'll be constantly deleting random stuff to enjoy the new benefits.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                    X