Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 16 "Jarvis" Is Now In Beta

Phoronix: Kodi 16 "Jarvis" Is Now In Beta

Developers behind Kodi (formerly XBMC) announced the release this morning of Jarvis Beta 1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kodi is not a nice name. Especially in greek means "short woman"... XBMC sounds much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Kodi is not a nice name. Especially in greek means "short woman"... XBMC sounds much better.
      XBMC is a horrible project name by all accounts. It's rough to say (doesn't roll off the tongue at all) and doesn't even represent what they do anymore... it's not the XBox Media Center anymore, and it's not a recursive acronym either. Maybe Kodi wasn't the best to go with, but it's a hundred times better than XBMC.

Btw, can anybody tell me why I have to jailbreak and use their custom repo to get a real Kodi app on my iPad? Why isn't it in the store? Is it using things that can only be accessed while jailbroken?

Comment

I disagree. At least XBMC fills your mouth. Kodi sounds like a pet's name.

Comment

The name it the least important thing of an app for me. What counts are the features. Kodi changed the number of major releases from 1 (around xmas usually) to 3. I think Kodi 16 is important for H.265 support - the bundled ffmpeg did not support it for Kodi 15.2.

Comment

In my opinion they release this to fast. There are still reported bugs that are ignored at the bug tracker. e.g. one where ass subs are affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              The name it the least important thing of an app for me. What counts are the features. Kodi changed the number of major releases from 1 (around xmas usually) to 3. I think Kodi 16 is important for H.265 support - the bundled ffmpeg did not support it for Kodi 15.2.
              Names are always important for the success of a company or project.

Comment

I don't mind short women

Comment

The point of a project name like "kodi" is that it is short with only 2 syllables (try and come up with any decent 2 syllable product name!) and that it is unique enough so that google searches provide meaningful and relevant results. I didn't like it at first either but it works where it counts (short and searchable) and now I've got used to it anyway. I'm also okay with short woman, so meh.

Comment

@Apopas

Maybe you should have proposed a better name while they seached a new one. But in case of XBMC/Kodi the name definitely does not matter at all for existing users. No idea how attractive it sounds for new users, but as WMC is dead (for all Win 10 users) and you can read everywhere that Kodi is the best replacement for it - tell me what app sounds better and is used by the rest

Comment

Working...
                    X