No announcement yet.

SMPlayer 15.9 Brings MPV Support, 3D Stereo Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to hear smplayer getting some love. My choice at the moment is https://bomi-player.github.io/. Sadly the project seems dead at the moment, but for now it has all the features I need.

Comment

Originally posted by dispat0r View Post
      Nice to hear smplayer getting some love. My choice at the moment is https://bomi-player.github.io/. Sadly the project seems dead at the moment, but for now it has all the features I need.
      Apparently, the dev that owns it is known to take long breaks. I was hoping he'd resume contributions (or at least pull pending code) now that summer is over.

Comment

double post
        Last edited by DanL; 30 September 2015, 06:12 PM. Reason: Technical Issues

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          Slave mode was a terrible way of going about things. mpv got rid of that in favor of a JSON interface and a client API. SMplayer should stop treating mpv as if it's mplayer (it's not) and use one of those instead. I'm not aware of any frontend using the JSON interface, but there are players out there that use the client API such a baka-mplayer and gnome-mpv.
          Well, when i wrote xt7-player-mpv by adapting his old code (was an mplayer frontend), i did that without using client-api, nor the json ipc interface, but just mpv input commands; more or less the old slave-mode, but the way i like, and xt7 can play dvb nicely and use all of the mpv features without issues.
          I don't understand the problem smplayer have; maybe the need to mantain two diverging backends is slowing down things.

Comment

I am too using Bomi player at the moment and the video interpolators are really nice for low resolution videos. Yet the development doesn't look that rosy: Latest tweet.
            Let's see what SMPlayer has to offer...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              "semi popular mpv"
              seriously?
              mpv is much better / faster / reliable than mplayer or even vlc here on opensuse
              Maybe it is not as popular, but it should be.
              How did you "measure" the popularity?
              I disagree. MPV is slower, more bug ridden and a resource hog compared to mplayer/mplayer2,VLC. Considering it has none of the features and options of mplayer,mplayer2,VLC, MPV is a total let down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

I disagree. MPV is slower, more bug ridden and a resource hog compared to mplayer/mplayer2,VLC. Considering it has none of the features and options of mplayer,mplayer2,VLC, MPV is a total let down.
                I've not seen this to be true. Could you show us some examples? MPV vs Mplayer/2 vs VLC on the same file, with the default settings, then with hardware accel.

From what I can recall, the only features "missing" from MPV are the old cruft ripped out to ease the burden on the devs so they could focus on bug fixes and overall improvements. There's a large list of changes that is (sometimes) updated on the MPV github page, if you'd like to see what features MPV has that MPlayer/2 doesn't.

Comment

I disagree. MPV is slower, more bug ridden and a resource hog compared to mplayer/mplayer2,VLC.
                  Ok, I have decided I'm going to take this personally. You'll need to back this assertion up with some numbers. Seriously. mpv's opengl output got a bit slower recently because it uses FBOs by default now and in particular Intel is quite bad at those, but there's a new "dumb-mode" option that restores the previous non-FBO behavior. If there's anything else, show some numbers.

Considering it has none of the features and options of mplayer,mplayer2,VLC, MPV is a total let down.
                  VLC, having a full blown GUI, is a very different beast, so it's not directly comparable. But in regards to mplayer/mplayer2, please state *exactly* what they have that mpv doesn't. I can provide a list of what mpv has that those don't, but I won't bother unless you provide what I've requested.

PS. Other than pestering the main mpv dev about VAAPI (which has received *huge* improvements in the last few days, despite said dev's dislike of VAAPI), I have no stake in mpv.

Comment

mpv is the best, period.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

mpv has best UI.

Comment

Working...
                      X