KDE Frameworks 5.12 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Am I the only one thinking that KDE is practically a dead project? When I read the news about new Gnome/XFCE releases I'm bombarded with new features, improvements, etc.

Last time I had the same excitement about KDE was many years ago.
    LOL, nice joke!
    Or are you serious?!? O_o

Comment

Am I the only one thinking that KDE is practically a dead project?
      Yes, you are.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, other than confirming where you are coming from.

Comment

Am I the only one thinking that KDE is practically a dead project? When I read the news about new Gnome/XFCE releases I'm bombarded with new features, improvements, etc.

Keep it up

Comment

Lets not feed the troll guys, we all know KDE is best desktop because I said so, right? Not like anyone else can have an opinion or anything, that would be silly. Thats why we all use Windows right? Screw choice and all that!

Comment

What are you smoking guys?

Takes the latest KDE applications update:

"More than 20 recorded bugfixes include improvements to Kdenlive, the Kontact Suite, Kopete, the KDE Telepathy contact list, Marble, Okteta and Umbrello."

That leaves us with KDE applications which see zero activity, no new features, no new apps.
            Originally posted by Release Notes
            KDE Applications 15.04.3. This release contains only bugfixes and translation updates, providing a safe and pleasant update for everyone.
            Yeah...the changelog for a bugfix update is comprised entirely of bugfixes. Clearly the project is dead, because the bugfix release doesn't come with major new features.

Comment

Let me know when KDE has completely instant auto hide/unhide, and vertical realtime workspace switcher. Till then it's Gnome3 4 me. Otherwise I prefer XFCE....and I'll add programs on top.

KDE just feels like I'm using Fedora Rawhide...or Arch unstable.....I keep trying to get away from the grenade I just dropped.
              Last edited by grndzro; 10 July 2015, 11:35 PM. Reason: More

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                Let me know when KDE has completely instant auto hide/unhide, and vertical realtime workspace switcher.
                I am not quite sure what you are looking for, but just as an experiment I tried to do it (as I understand your question).

Add a new panel to the desktop on the left side, set it to auto-hide and add a task switcher, an activity switcher and a virtual desktop switcher. Worked out of the box.

Comment

When I read the news about new Gnome/XFCE releases I'm bombarded with new features, improvements, etc.
                  Really? You are bombarded with new features and improvements in XFCE? Wow, just wow!

Comment

Frankly, the pace has accelerated. The workspace (Plasma Desktop) ships every three months now instead of six, and there's always a whole bunch of new features in there.

Look out for announcements at Akademy at the end of this month, too.

Comment

The real problem with kde is that it takes years for each major version to become usable. Archlinux just got qt 5.5 so I installed plasma 5 again.

Dark color schemes are still unusable. I tried the 3 preinstalled ones and all of them make text barely readable or completely unreadable right in the default systemsettings kcm modules. Why even have dark schemes by default if they are not usable? But that's not a plasma 5 problem, that was always unusable.

Replacing the old xembed system tray is good. Doing so while the alternative is not universally accepted is not good for the users. firetray git has an indicator icon, but most menu entries don't work. Pidgin has an indicator plugin that needs to be installed and activated and it seems to work. dropbox still doesn't seem to work (yes, lib32-sni-qt is installed). liferea should have indicator support I think, but it doesn't show in the tray. There is some old indicator-messaging project, but it's been dead for 3 years and doesn't build anymore or requires old dependencies (no, I won't downgrade my gtk to a lower major version from ubuntu).

Here are a few bugs that saving global hotkeys is buggy:

Still not fixed.

etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X