It's Been Five Months Since I Left Ubuntu For Fedora On My Main Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been Five Months Since I Left Ubuntu For Fedora On My Main Workstation

Phoronix: It's Been Five Months Since I Left Ubuntu For Fedora On My Main Workstation

It's been five months since I quit using Ubuntu Linux on my main production system and switched over to Fedora Workstation. Looking back, it was a fantastic decision...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perhaps you should give fedora-upgrade a try. It's a wrapper script which automates the various steps described at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...dora_using_yum. It's not an officially supported solution, but it's available from the official repo (# dnf install fedora-upgrade).
    I recently used it to upgrade a headless F21 server to F22. Apart from the fact that dhcpd.service somehow got disabled during the upgrade, everything went flawlessly. I deactivated SELinux before starting the upgrade process though.

Comment

I'd love Fedora to bring soon to the masses btrfs.. something with the easy rollback at boot options like in OpenSUSE.. that would be a nice treat. I know it won't happen in F23 and probably each distro will have his own approach regarding different subvolumes. I don't see a rolling Fedora happening any soon, but I think that probably they're more focusing on the atomic version

Comment

The new notifications as part of Gnome 3.16 are a big reason to upgrade.

Is fedup error prone? I haven't really experienced that (except the time when sometimes the boot partition was too small, but I did a clean install that time instead of fedup)

Comment

I used fedup to upgrade to Fedora 22 with no problems at all, and also from Fedora 20 to Fedora 21.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
            The new notifications as part of Gnome 3.16 are a big reason to upgrade.

Is fedup error prone? I haven't really experienced that (except the time when sometimes the boot partition was too small, but I did a clean install that time instead of fedup)
            I went from Fedora 20 to 21 and had no problems with fedup. Fedora 21 to 22 gave me an unbootable system... I can't say fedora-upgrade is any better cause that also gave me an unbootable system going from 20 to 21.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

The painful upgrade procedure of popular distros like Ubuntu and Fedoras is what made me switch to Archlinux (Antergos for easy installation) been about 2 years I have never looked back. Archlinux is a really stable rolling distro where I can always get the latest and greatest stable software.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                The painful upgrade procedure of popular distros like Ubuntu and Fedoras is what made me switch to Archlinux (Antergos for easy installation) been about 2 years I have never looked back. Archlinux is a really stable rolling distro where I can always get the latest and greatest stable software.
                I agree that the whole upgrade procedure is a pain, but isn't Fedora Rawhide rolling release? I could be wrong, I personally prefer Arch myself for about 2 or 3 years so I don't really keep up with other distros.

Comment

After going from 19->21 via fedup with issue slowly creaping into my setup I was going to stay on Fedora 21 too, then my SSD died. The fresh install of Fedora 22 is going well, although hibernation only worked the first couple of times (it broke on my Fedora 21 setup too) not sure whats going on there.

Comment

Wow, that was a boring article. Sorry.

Reads like a burn on Ubuntu, or perhaps elitism, when it is all about how an author feels and little to nothing as to why one distro is "fantastic" and the other (probably) not so much. All I got out of it was this:

While sticking to Fedora 21, it's still a great experience to this day with having stable release upgrades for the Linux 4.0 kernel, GNOME 3.16 point releases, new Firefox/Thunderbird releases, etc.

Is he pissed about not having the latest pieces of software on his system? For somebody who is writing daily about even newer versions of everything should it not really be an issue.

My advise would be to make at least half an attempt at a comparison between the two distros.

Comment

Working...
                    X