Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye Mandriva, She's Being Liquidated

Phoronix: Bye Bye Mandriva, She's Being Liquidated

While there hasn't been much interest in Mandriva in a few years with derivatives like OpenMandriva and Mageia taking much of the spotlight, Mandriva as a company is now being liquidated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

about time?

Comment

Unlike Linux server OSes with paid tech support, there is hardly any money selling desktop Linux distributions, which is why others like Linspire and Xandros probably failed too. Consumers who want to buy a desktop OS will just choose Windows and even Windows is becoming essentially free for at least for a year with Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Unlike Linux server OSes with paid tech support, there is hardly any money selling desktop Linux distributions, which is why others like Linspire and Xandros probably failed too. Consumers who want to buy a desktop OS will just choose Windows and even Windows is becoming essentially free for at least for a year with Windows 10.
        Specifically consumer desktop distributions. Majority of desktop and laptops come bundled with Microsoft Windows thoguht different scheme including bribing and extortion. Let reminds the Netbook forced Microsoft to reenable support of Windows XP.

Comment

<sarcasm>Wow, who saw that coming?</sarcasm>

In all genuineness, I echo Michael's sentiments:
          Originally posted by phoronix
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...iva-Liquidated

As a former Mandrake user, it's a bit of a sad day, but at least Mageia is doing a great job carrying the torch.
          What a great example of how to not manage a company.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            I just login in to tell that your post is a joke! To give a momey to OS with shitty process manager, shitty hard drive manager, shitty RAM manager, you cannot tell one advantage Windows over Linux.

Comment

I remember around 2001-2 i've write to some of their mailing list that RPM is cancer and they have to trow it away right in the moment and start using DEB, they didn't listen to me, now they are dead. Ubuntu become what Mandrake has to be. My first linux was Linux Mandrake 8 Traktopel

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                I remember around 2001-2 i've write to some of their mailing list that RPM is cancer and they have to trow it away right in the moment and start using DEB, they didn't listen to me, now they are dead.
                Packaging format has nothing to do with Mandriva demise. Glad no company listen to this kind of nonsense.

Comment

It was a very nice distro when it was called Mandrake way ahead of its times . In linux server world redhat buys its way like microsoft does on desktop so there no really much space to make money and survive. Curious how long it will take before redhat has monopoly and debian based distros dissapear.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                    I remember around 2001-2 i've write to some of their mailing list that RPM is cancer and they have to trow it away right in the moment and start using DEB, they didn't listen to me, now they are dead. Ubuntu become what Mandrake has to be. My first linux was Linux Mandrake 8 Traktopel
                    And we have a winer!!!

For this weeks forum idiot!

Comment

Working...
                    X