Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which distro do you run on your laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What problems are you having with the X1400? Create a new thread if you need help. For the Intel 3945ABG try the FreshRPMs repo or get the drivers from the SF page.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      What problems are you having with the X1400? Create a new thread if you need help. For the Intel 3945ABG try the FreshRPMs repo or get the drivers from the SF page.
      I just posted the details in the thread here,

      http://phoronix.net/forums/showthrea...=2341#post2341

      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #18
        I run Gentoo 2006.1 x86 on my 4-year-old P4-M laptop. It originally came with Windows XP, but SP2 rendered my laptop unusable due to drivers BSODing the system every hour or so. I put SuSE 9.1 on there and stuck with SuSE until 10.1 came out and had the whole crudded-up package manager. I had tried Ubuntu briefly, but it didn't have hibernate support and the then-recent version's kernel had no swsusp2 patch. So I went and put Gentoo 2006.0 on both machines as Gentoo's supposedly the one that you can get anything to work on. The guys on my local LUG were right and I've been happily running Gentoo since then.

        It seems a common thing for people here to run Gentoo on their laptops. Did you do it for speed, geek factor, or because you can tweak it? I did it for the tweaks I can ensure everything works like a charm. My CFLAGS are pretty weak (added -msse and -msse2; -msse3 on the desktop is about it) but my systems are rock solid.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
          It seems a common thing for people here to run Gentoo on their laptops.
          That surprises me given the time it takes to compile. My laptop is just a little over two years old and recompiling takes quite a while :-D

          Personally I chose Gentoo for the simple fact that's the only distro I really use. No other distro has grabbed my attention like it has. Love the customization and tweaking factor that comes with it.

          Comment


          • #20
            My laptop is twice as old as yours. If it didn't have any help from the desktop via distcc, it would honestly take 3-4 days to compile the base system, X, and KDE. With the desktop helping out, it takes roughly 1.5-2 days, dependent on how much stuff can use distcc.

            Comment


            • #21
              I hear you there. I think my main problem is I have only 512MB of ram... I am considering an upgrade. Been compiling stuff all day actually. It doesn't pay to go two months without doing an update, because you will wind up with like 200 things for updating

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Rob Williams View Post
                I hear you there. I think my main problem is I have only 512MB of ram... I am considering an upgrade. Been compiling stuff all day actually. It doesn't pay to go two months without doing an update, because you will wind up with like 200 things for updating
                No, it does not pay to go that long. A week is about it before updates take a long time. 512MB RAM on a 32-bit box should be enough to compile most things, 1GB will certainly do well. I have the chipset's maximum of 1GB in my old 32-bit laptop and it is more than enough. My desktop has 2GB but is 64-bit and the most I've seen GCC use is about 1.2 GB.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I run openSuSE 10.2 on this Acer Aspire 5104. The other 3 popular desktops I tried didn't utilise the 2'nd core of my Turion64 x2 CPU.

                  When I bought this laptop in August, this 1.8Ghz CPU was faster than any Core Duo CPU's Intel offered, not bad for 800 Euro. The rest of the specs are: 1GB RAM running in dual channel, 100GB 5400RPM HDD, Atheros wifi chipset utilising madwifi driver, 3 years international warranty.

                  The biggest mistake I made was going with an ATI graphics card, there is no current Linux support for the Radeon Xpress 1100 or Xorg 7.2.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Radon View Post
                    The biggest mistake I made was going with an ATI graphics card, there is no current Linux support for the Radeon Xpress 1100 or Xorg 7.2.
                    The Radeon Xpress 1100 should work fine with the fglrx drivers and X.Org 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, and 7.1. OpenSuSE 10.2 adapted X11R72 quickly since it's not officially being released until December 11. Anyhow, you may not have to wait long for the 7.2 support...
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Radon View Post
                      I run openSuSE 10.2 on this Acer Aspire 5104. The other 3 popular desktops I tried didn't utilise the 2'nd core of my Turion64 x2 CPU.

                      When I bought this laptop in August, this 1.8Ghz CPU was faster than any Core Duo CPU's Intel offered, not bad for 800 Euro. The rest of the specs are: 1GB RAM running in dual channel, 100GB 5400RPM HDD, Atheros wifi chipset utilising madwifi driver, 3 years international warranty.

                      The biggest mistake I made was going with an ATI graphics card, there is no current Linux support for the Radeon Xpress 1100 or Xorg 7.2.
                      SUSE has been historically a very good distribution, perhaps maybe for the last release (10.1) and its horribly mangled package manager. It would be a good match for a laptop as it has suspend2 compiled into the kernel and this allows for quick and painless suspend-to-disk out of the box.

                      What other distros did you run that did not recognize the second core of your Turion? I understand that many live CDs load a generic uniprocessor kernel, but if you've installed a distro, you should be able to pick and install a new kernel that is SMP aware. (If that fails, you can *alwasy* get the kernel source and compile it to include SMP support.)

                      The Radeon Xpress 1100 and Xorg 7.2 is supposedly supported in the latest ATi drivers. If you can't get the drivers to work, then you can always go into SaX and pick the generic "radeon" driver for your card and it will give you a working display. Otherwise, wait for the next version of the ATi drivers, which should undoubtedly have good support for Xorg 7.2.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
                        The Radeon Xpress 1100 and Xorg 7.2 is supposedly supported in the latest ATi drivers. If you can't get the drivers to work, then you can always go into SaX and pick the generic "radeon" driver for your card and it will give you a working display. Otherwise, wait for the next version of the ATi drivers, which should undoubtedly have good support for Xorg 7.2.
                        Negative. X.org 7.2 is not officially supported by X11R72 in 8.31.5. The "radeon" driver also doesn't support for the Radeon X1000 series, which the Xpress 1100 is technically in. As stated in my previous message, you may not have to wait long for the 7.2 support...
                        Michael Larabel
                        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          Negative. X.org 7.2 is not officially supported by X11R72 in 8.31.5. The "radeon" driver also doesn't support for the Radeon X1000 series, which the Xpress 1100 is technically in. As stated in my previous message, you may not have to wait long for the 7.2 support...
                          Hmm, I did not know that the "radeon" driver didn't support the x1000 cars until I did a bit more looking. Apparently the x300/500/700/800 cards are the highest cards supported by it. My mistake.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
                            Hmm, I did not know that the "radeon" driver didn't support the x1000 cars until I did a bit more looking. Apparently the x300/500/700/800 cards are the highest cards supported by it. My mistake.
                            Correct, the open-source Radeon drivers only support up to the R300/400 series. The X1000 series is the only models not currently supported. David Airlie had written a 2D open-source display driver for the X1000 series, but ATI will not authorize him to release it.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              New to the Linux scene.

                              Just started getting my laptop going with Gentoo and I ran into so many problems trying to tripple the amount of OS' on my laptop that I just settle for FC6 for gaming and learning some linux while I use FreeBSD for all my work. If I could I would certainly use FreeBSD for everything, but without support for fgl drivers on ATI card that is definitely out. Wish ATI would get their act straight on drivers for BSD but I understand it is a money issue.

                              Compal Laptop

                              2.0GHz Centrino; 1GB RAM; ATI RV350 9600/9700 Radeon 128MB; 80GB 5400RPM Samsung Drive; Wireless Intel 2950b/g; Dual OS: FC6 -- FreeBSD 6.2

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jamdev12 View Post
                                New to the Linux scene.

                                Just started getting my laptop going with Gentoo and I ran into so many problems trying to tripple the amount of OS' on my laptop that I just settle for FC6 for gaming and learning some linux while I use FreeBSD for all my work. If I could I would certainly use FreeBSD for everything, but without support for fgl drivers on ATI card that is definitely out. Wish ATI would get their act straight on drivers for BSD but I understand it is a money issue.

                                Compal Laptop

                                2.0GHz Centrino; 1GB RAM; ATI RV350 9600/9700 Radeon 128MB; 80GB 5400RPM Samsung Drive; Wireless Intel 2950b/g; Dual OS: FC6 -- FreeBSD 6.2
                                Too bad that FreeBSD is still on X.Org 6.9. If they were able to use X.Org 7.1+ there would be great R200/R300 support for ATI cards. ATI at this time does not provide official FreeBSD driver support. However, I am not sure if you're aware or not but a community member is working on fglrx support for FreeBSD -- http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37837
                                Michael Larabel
                                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X