No announcement yet.

The GNU Flash Player Reaches Beta

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GNU Flash Player Reaches Beta

Phoronix: The GNU Flash Player Reaches Beta

Gnash, the open-source plug-in and standalone player designed to implement Adobe Flash (SWF) that's being worked on by the Free Software Foundation, had reached a beta status last week. Gnash 0.8.2 was released and represents the first beta of this GPL Flash player...

Youtube seems to work again with this release, and it seems to be performing a lot better. However, the as well as lots of others don't work well or at all.

Maybe Phoronix could do a comparison of gnash and swfdec and see which works for more sites and supports more features?

I second TRS-80, swfdec-mozilla (the plugin) worked with youtube for me too, but the last version I tried was with 0.5.5 and the audio was out of sync probably because it was using 100% of the CPU.

There is an extension to switch flash plugins, but it's windows only:

It does detect different plugins/versions if you make the right directories and symlink the *.so files to NPSWF32.dll, but restarts firefox with an error in a gtk window when you try to change to another plugin. Changing the permissions of /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/ doesn't seem to help.

Having such an extension could really speed up gnash/swfdec adoption on linux, especially 64-bit.