Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then buy the one with CPU 20 times faster

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Would be nice if instead of UI/UX fixes they would open source the GPU firmware and/or make the CPU 20 times faster like the other < $50 competition is (4 cores vs one core, 1.4 - 2 GHz vs 700, faster pipeline and caches in ARMv7 CPUs).
    I don't get why people complain about a product not matching their wishes. If someone else sells what you need at the price you want to pay then just buy that.
    Some people work with Raspberry Pi, others prefer Beaglebone Black, while more will insist the only option is a full featured PC, while more will go the Arduino route.

Reminds me of the quote "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You"
    Use what you're comfortable with and let others do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
      So it's not at all about replacing regular desktops or cheap portable PCs but giving the tinkerers something very affordable to unleash their creativity. Sure, you must have a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor, a wifi dongle and other stuff. But most of these you might already have or you can reuse if/whenever you break your RaspberryPi. If you break your Chromebook how likely will you replace its motherboard or simply buy a new one? Quite a waste considering the display, keyboard and maybe other components might still be usable. And how likely will you use a Chromebook to do "crazy" stuff like drones, robots, bird feeder monitoring, home automation or clusters?

Although it's closer to being a toy, you can actually do a lot of serious stuff with it - even a highly efficient web server, NAS or even personal cloud.
      Highly efficient and raspberry don't mix well. You do realize that e.g. the odroid c1 is the same price as raspberry pi b+ and more efficient for any task besides graphics? The biggest problem and obstacle I see with RPi is that the CPU is really underpowered. It's a huge pain in the ass to use it for anything useful due to all that waiting. If you want to compile stuff, I recommend networking RPis with an Odroid C1 and compiling remotely over ethernet.

Treating a RaspberryPi as a regular PC will most likely get you disappointed with its limitations and performance compared to modern, powerful hardware. But if you look at it as a tool, the Pi is the limit.
      I'm not treating it as a regular PC. Let's say we compare it to my PC from 1998 (Pentium 2 333 MHz & 384 MB RAM & 2 x 100 Mbps 3com ethernet cards & 4 MB Matrox graphics & Sound Blaster 16 & 8 GB hard drive). Imagine using the old machine as a web server. It beats RPi hands down due to faster network and disk speed. Some tasks are faster with RPi like video decoding, but overall they're about the same performance wise. Another advantage is that people donate such old hardware for free nowadays. If you want to donate poor kids in Africa some hardware similar to Rpi, I'd more gladly donate my money for Odroid C1s or old P2/P3, heck even Pentium 4 level hardware. They're less that $25 nowadays.

Comment

i was thinking then lxde and lxqt replaced it

Comment

Working...
        X