Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment E19 RC3 Shows Off The New Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Enlightenment E19 RC3 Shows Off The New Wayland Compositor

    Phoronix: Enlightenment E19 RC3 Shows Off The New Wayland Compositor

    The third release candidate to Enlightenment E19 is now available...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NjE

  • #2
    Now if only I could run gnome-session-flashback (gnome-panel) in Wayland and that would be awesome.

    Comment


    • #3
      Enlightenment is one of those WMs that looks very nice but is horrible to use.
      Too unixish...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by losko View Post
        Enlightenment is one of those WMs that looks very nice but is horrible to use.
        Too unixish...
        Not to mention that it is highly unstable. After a lot of years wating for E17 (the new Duke Nukem of the window managers), I tried one of the stable versions and it crashed twice. It probably has something to do with the fact that the "Raster man" is not a programmer, just a hobbyist.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by losko View Post
          Enlightenment is one of those WMs that looks very nice but is horrible to use.
          Too unixish...
          While its true that some parts need polishing (file manager for example) it retains a combinations of good looking and sane (UI/UX wise) that you can't get somewhere else.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Not to mention that it is highly unstable. After a lot of years wating for E17 (the new Duke Nukem of the window managers), I tried one of the stable versions and it crashed twice. It probably has something to do with the fact that the "Raster man" is not a programmer, just a hobbyist.
            According to wikipedia he is a software engineer and is working for Samsung and has earlier worked among other thing for Red Hat with gtk.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carsten_Haitzler

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by losko View Post
              Enlightenment is one of those WMs that looks very nice but is horrible to use.
              Too unixish...
              Enlightenment can't be unixish because it's not following unix principles. It's config files are binaries!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                Enlightenment can't be unixish because it's not following unix principles. It's config files are binaries!
                files that you can decode/encode from text.

                and unlike text files they have a heavily re-used codec library that is used for just about everything and is well tested and fast. the config files are in-memory c structures serialised/de-serialised. by the same token you could ca mysql "un-unixy" because its databases are not plain text files. to deal with the db's you need to go through an interface (sql over a tcp socket). same for the config files (which are kind of little databases) - you go through the user interface, or use a tool already provided to extract to text, edit, then re-insert

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  Not to mention that it is highly unstable. After a lot of years wating for E17 (the new Duke Nukem of the window managers), I tried one of the stable versions and it crashed twice. It probably has something to do with the fact that the "Raster man" is not a programmer, just a hobbyist.
                  stable for the developers who wrote it and test it every day. what you do is don't bother to provide feedback like bug reports with the crashdumps we so kindly automatically collect in ~/.e-crashdump.txt as a log... if we find bugs - we fix them.

                  as for being a hobbyist - no. i have a degree in comp sci. i've worked as a sw engineer my entire career, and if "it crashed a few times" == "the developers who work on it are just hobbyists" then i guess chrome is made by hobbyists. it incessantly hangs solid for me lately and needs a kill -9 to get it away. but don't worry. it's just made by hobbyists obviously. i've had kernel panics many times over the years. i guess that linux kernel is just made by hobbyists.

                  maybe you are a hobbyist and know little of software. you know that there's a million lines of code there in efl + e ... and that then relies on 100's of 3rd party libraries on your distribution which every permutation of versions also have their own bugs that can directly influence the stability of stuff on top (like efl and enlightenment). invariably if someone isn't heavily testing your exact permutation of these, stuff comes through. not to mention there are so many compile/build permutations that affect things too- eg you are using the gstreamer back-end of emotion vs the generic external plugin vlc one vs xine... so the video popup preview in e's filemanager may be stable for some and not for others depending on the back-end. if you were a software engineer and understood even a smidgen about it you'd know this and maybe even take a look as to why something crashed. it could also be a bug in efl or e that was not found (rarely used feature or codepath). that perfectly could be the issue and that's why we put crashdumps in logs for you to help us try and find and fix these.

                  but i guess i'll go back to being a hobbyist. so will the dozens of other developers working on e.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are some real opinionated idiots on this site (it's almost as bad as slashdot has become).

                    I have tried Enlightenment at least twice since 0.17 was stable and It looks promising. The packaging for Ubuntu though looked like it could do with more work.

                    It hasn't gotten a lot of testing from me as I am a Dvorak typist and not having keyboard layout switching support as good as KDE's really puts me out of my comfort zone.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      never try

                      never try Enlig

                      i wil get a chance this weekend, i need a change

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                        There are some real opinionated idiots on this site (it's almost as bad as slashdot has become).

                        I have tried Enlightenment at least twice since 0.17 was stable and It looks promising. The packaging for Ubuntu though looked like it could do with more work.

                        It hasn't gotten a lot of testing from me as I am a Dvorak typist and not having keyboard layout switching support as good as KDE's really puts me out of my comfort zone.
                        yeah. there are some... interesting people... let's say.

                        well i don't switch layouts except.. once to configure that machine and then it sticks, but the kbd module provides a gadget to display current layout and allow hotswitching between multiple layouts - you add a layout to the list then set up some bindings you like to do it and it should work... you might want to give it a go. the little flag with the kbd layout by default is the gadget - click and set them up - use the gadget to begin with to switch (left click for menu of kb switcher menu and settings). or was this feature actually broken for you?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by raster View Post
                          yeah. there are some... interesting people... let's say.

                          well i don't switch layouts except.. once to configure that machine and then it sticks, but the kbd module provides a gadget to display current layout and allow hotswitching between multiple layouts - you add a layout to the list then set up some bindings you like to do it and it should work... you might want to give it a go. the little flag with the kbd layout by default is the gadget - click and set them up - use the gadget to begin with to switch (left click for menu of kb switcher menu and settings). or was this feature actually broken for you?
                          There wasn't a module last time I tried. I shall give that a go. The other really critical feature that keyboard remapping should have (I can't emphasize how much of a difference this makes in my use case) and that is when switching keyboard layouts only the text typing should change keyboard shortcuts (undo,copy,paste) should not be remapped to the new layout. KDE does this with most applications (all Qt applications, Some GTK applications, Blender, Unigine) as keyboard shortcuts are generally designed so they can be used with one hand in a Qwerty layout and this is really important for content creation software where one hand is typically on the mouse or tablet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by raster View Post
                            stable for the developers who wrote it and test it every day. what you do is don't bother to provide feedback like bug reports with the crashdumps we so kindly automatically collect in ~/.e-crashdump.txt as a log... if we find bugs - we fix them.

                            as for being a hobbyist - no. i have a degree in comp sci. i've worked as a sw engineer my entire career, and if "it crashed a few times" == "the developers who work on it are just hobbyists" then i guess chrome is made by hobbyists. it incessantly hangs solid for me lately and needs a kill -9 to get it away. but don't worry. it's just made by hobbyists obviously. i've had kernel panics many times over the years. i guess that linux kernel is just made by hobbyists.

                            maybe you are a hobbyist and know little of software. you know that there's a million lines of code there in efl + e ... and that then relies on 100's of 3rd party libraries on your distribution which every permutation of versions also have their own bugs that can directly influence the stability of stuff on top (like efl and enlightenment). invariably if someone isn't heavily testing your exact permutation of these, stuff comes through. not to mention there are so many compile/build permutations that affect things too- eg you are using the gstreamer back-end of emotion vs the generic external plugin vlc one vs xine... so the video popup preview in e's filemanager may be stable for some and not for others depending on the back-end. if you were a software engineer and understood even a smidgen about it you'd know this and maybe even take a look as to why something crashed. it could also be a bug in efl or e that was not found (rarely used feature or codepath). that perfectly could be the issue and that's why we put crashdumps in logs for you to help us try and find and fix these.

                            but i guess i'll go back to being a hobbyist. so will the dozens of other developers working on e.
                            you got >

                            But anyway. A question.

                            After you enabled gst1 in E19 is emotion generic playes needed anymore? And if yes where. And can whatever is using it be replaced by gst1? (i am trying to get rid of vlc obviously)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                              There wasn't a module last time I tried. I shall give that a go. The other really critical feature that keyboard remapping should have (I can't emphasize how much of a difference this makes in my use case) and that is when switching keyboard layouts only the text typing should change keyboard shortcuts (undo,copy,paste) should not be remapped to the new layout. KDE does this with most applications (all Qt applications, Some GTK applications, Blender, Unigine) as keyboard shortcuts are generally designed so they can be used with one hand in a Qwerty layout and this is really important for content creation software where one hand is typically on the mouse or tablet.
                              the keyboard module shipped with e17 at first release. still there now in git. apps themselves are another matter entirely. e can change the kbd map for the xserver, but it cant change how apps map their shortcuts.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X