Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

    Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

    As a follow-up to the story from earlier about KDE Frameworks 5 being due out, the official release of KF5 ended up taking place this afternoon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNzE

  • #2
    You meant fedora 21 of course.

    Comment


    • #3
      The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
      After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
        The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
        After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.
        stop right there!
        Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

        No!

        This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by markg85 View Post
          stop right there!
          Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

          No!

          This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.
          there is little effort in making everything work,
          but there so much effort in polishing the visuals, getting fancy effects and changing the whole structure of the DE.

          It seems to me that both popular DE care more about the looks and less about the functionality.

          For me, the article says, here's a different way to project your bugs.

          and btw the DE will be released next week.

          Comment


          • #6
            Don't quite know why you're complaining, KDE 4.x has been working very well for me (since around 4.7). If you don't count KMail (which has been a bit of a mess, but still the only client offering all the features I use).

            Plasma 5 ( = plasma 2 as I understand it) I am looking forward to for true HiDPI support.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              stop right there!
              Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

              No!

              This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.
              It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                Don't quite know why you're complaining, KDE 4.x has been working very well for me (since around 4.7). If you don't count KMail (which has been a bit of a mess, but still the only client offering all the features I use).

                Plasma 5 ( = plasma 2 as I understand it) I am looking forward to for true HiDPI support.
                don't forget also that kvpnc requires special treatment in order to work. if you don't know what you are doing, then you get the nice crash window, without any proper info.
                bluetooth and wifi do not work with the network manager, although the drivers work perfectly, and there is no problem when setting everything up in the terminal by hand. the network manager is also a little bit tricky with the openvpn plugin.

                Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.
                actually it's the same thing, the new buttons come always with a new DE version, that's what they've been always doing.
                I don't know if this is digia's/nokia's/trolltech's way to get the people to fix their bugs and then sell the stable version,of the framework, to the companies.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                  there is little effort in making everything work,
                  but there so much effort in polishing the visuals, getting fancy effects and changing the whole structure of the DE.
                  And there is precisely the problem. Before the visual group was announced, people were complaining about how KDE was wasting too much time fixing bugs rather than on polishing the UI. Now that they are polishing the UI, people complain that they are not spending enough time fixing bugs. It doesn't matter what approach KDE developers take, someone will criticize them for not focusing on some particular issue.

                  That, of course, completely misses the fact that the visual design group is made up primarily of non-coders. They wouldn't be fixing bugs if they weren't in the visual design group, they would simply not be participating at all. The whole point of the visual design group is to organize non-coders with design experience.

                  And your post completely ignores all the effort and changes with frameworks 5 that have gone into finding, detecting, fixing, and preventing bugs. Changing the structure of the libraries was essential to accomplish that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                    The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
                    After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.
                    The network manager is the same regardless of the desktop. And if you like a different widget style for the applet, just launch a different one, it will integrate into the systray in KDE just like it does in any other X11 desktop (Until plasma-nm became fully functional around 4.5, which is many years ago btw, I personally used the GTK nm-applet instead).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.
                      Who, what? Digia?!! I thought this was a KDE story, Digia does not even do any KDE development. Are you that troll who always frequent the Qt stories under different names spouting random nonsense about Qt and Digia?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                        don't forget also that kvpnc requires special treatment in order to work. if you don't know what you are doing, then you get the nice crash window, without any proper info.
                        bluetooth and wifi do not work with the network manager, although the drivers work perfectly, and there is no problem when setting everything up in the terminal by hand. the network manager is also a little bit tricky with the openvpn plugin.
                        Haven't tried kvpnc before (most VPNs I have been forced to use have their own proprietary client - if I am lucky). However, totally BS on NetworkManager. The kdeplasma-applets-plasma-nm (arch package), which is KDE's GUI, had worked perfectly for me across ~5 laptops and 2 desktops, both AMD and Intel systems. But, I don't think this will really matter to you as you seem to be trololololo.

                        Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                        actually it's the same thing, the new buttons come always with a new DE version, that's what they've been always doing.
                        I don't know if this is digia's/nokia's/trolltech's way to get the people to fix their bugs and then sell the stable version,of the framework, to the companies.
                        Again, really? It isn't the same thing - the frameworks release and plasma (desktop) release are very, very different. KDE 4 is pretty rock solid at this point in time, at 4.13.x. BTW, they haven't changed or shipped new icons ("buttons") since KDE4 has been released. Lastly, KDE has nothing to do with digia and is not a commercial product in any way. Digia has nothing to do with the KDE Frameworks, and KDE Frameworks is not party of QT or their commercial product. So much FUD, so little time *sigh*.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                          Who, what? Digia?!! I thought this was a KDE story, Digia does not even do any KDE development. Are you that troll who always frequent the Qt stories under different names spouting random nonsense about Qt and Digia?
                          Sorry. You obviously are not. Just to clarify. Digia does not contribute to KDE, and does not have any direct say in any of KDE's decisions. The new naming in KDE has been going on for years, because KDE as a community has been growing and includes a number of high profile apps that are not tied to the KDE desktop. As a result "KDE" need a naming convention to separate its frameworks, its community and its desktop.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                            And there is precisely the problem. Before the visual group was announced, people were complaining about how KDE was wasting too much time fixing bugs rather than on polishing the UI. Now that they are polishing the UI, people complain that they are not spending enough time fixing bugs. It doesn't matter what approach KDE developers take, someone will criticize them for not focusing on some particular issue.

                            That, of course, completely misses the fact that the visual design group is made up primarily of non-coders. They wouldn't be fixing bugs if they weren't in the visual design group, they would simply not be participating at all. The whole point of the visual design group is to organize non-coders with design experience.

                            And your post completely ignores all the effort and changes with frameworks 5 that have gone into finding, detecting, fixing, and preventing bugs. Changing the structure of the libraries was essential to accomplish that.
                            when exactly did they fix the bugs,
                            I've seen only new additions and no bug fixing,
                            in the 4th version you had dolphin, which was more frustrating than using plain terminal the whole time,
                            you had reqonk, that except from the pain in the ass to make it work properly with some plugins, it has no reason of existense,
                            konqueror, which served as everything in the previous versions, got stripped of some features, dolphin was purged as the file manager
                            they added dragon player and phonon, which is worse than vlc, they kill kaffeine which worked perfectly.
                            they made everything more complicated with phonon,
                            and on top of everything, take that nepomuk to test your nerves.(which by the way got a shitload of money from the eu, as funds to be developed).

                            on the laptop side, they removed the power save/performance modes, because they believe that they can do a proper energy management. seriously...

                            the list never ends.

                            after, almost 6 years using linux and windows and the last 3 only linux I am leaning towards the console more and more for everyday tasks like networking,file management, e.t.c.

                            best thing about kde is the konsole and yakuake, kchmviewer and okular, can't beat those.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                              Haven't tried kvpnc before (most VPNs I have been forced to use have their own proprietary client - if I am lucky). However, totally BS on NetworkManager. The kdeplasma-applets-plasma-nm (arch package), which is KDE's GUI, had worked perfectly for me across ~5 laptops and 2 desktops, both AMD and Intel systems. But, I don't think this will really matter to you as you seem to be trololololo.
                              both amd and intel systems?
                              I thought we were talking about network manager and their intefacing with network cards...
                              calm your tits,
                              I am talking about intel wifi card, not an intel cpu.
                              you cannot claim that something works if it works for you,
                              I got like a zillion wifi atheros cards and they work fine,
                              but when it comes to some intel and some bcm the thing hangs.


                              Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                              Again, really? It isn't the same thing - the frameworks release and plasma (desktop) release are very, very different. KDE 4 is pretty rock solid at this point in time, at 4.13.x. BTW, they haven't changed or shipped new icons ("buttons") since KDE4 has been released. Lastly, KDE has nothing to do with digia and is not a commercial product in any way. Digia has nothing to do with the KDE Frameworks, and KDE Frameworks is not party of QT or their commercial product. So much FUD, so little time *sigh*.
                              kde sc 4 is ugly rock solid, even after 6 years of development, w/o counting the beta.
                              "whoever owns qt" and kde have been evolving side by side,
                              when a new piece of shit is announced by the "whoever own qt" company,
                              kde is policing it and pass it as something wonderful.
                              they do not even wait for things to get stable, they rush it into production.


                              I am happy that some DEs are not following what a company releases.

                              I am not using my computers for browsing fb or twitter, I am using them for production, and rock solid is not something that I can call kde, or gnome to be fair.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X