Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    A file picker has only 1 role in an application (from the devs point of view) - to give the path to a file or directory. Properly written apps do not interact with file picker dialogs, they only spawn them and take their output (the file path). There is no application workflow in this, it's only for the user.



    Whaa? Now that's just plain wrong. Qt uses native system APIs to draw widgets wherever possible. On windows and mac you will not be able to tell a Qt widget app from a base system API app. Hell, Qt apps look more native on windows than microsofts own .net apps!
    It could support stuff like virtual filsystem gvfs, kio etc.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
      Whaa? Now that's just plain wrong. Qt uses native system APIs to draw widgets wherever possible. On windows and mac you will not be able to tell a Qt widget app from a base system API app. Hell, Qt apps look more native on windows than microsofts own .net apps!
      Qt using GTK+ to draw widgets - that would be awesome.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by m4tx View Post
        Qt using GTK+ to draw widgets - that would be awesome.
        There's a Qt engine that mimic GTK look and feel, and it does a really great job, sometimes I cannot even tell the diffrerence.

        Comment


        • #94
          I know it since it's default Qt theme engine under most Linux distros. But, at least for me, in most apps it's easily distinguishable whether the app is using GTK+ or Qt. Scrollbars are different (either in Unity and Gnome Shell), it doesn't respect some of the GTK+ settings (like displaying the icons in menu items). So... well, it just... doesn't work at all. At least for me (a user who hates when an app is trying to look like some toolkit, but it is doing it poorly).

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by m4tx View Post
            I know it since it's default Qt theme engine under most Linux distros. But, at least for me, in most apps it's easily distinguishable whether the app is using GTK+ or Qt. Scrollbars are different (either in Unity and Gnome Shell), it doesn't respect some of the GTK+ settings (like displaying the icons in menu items). So... well, it just... doesn't work at all. At least for me (a user who hates when an app is trying to look like some toolkit, but it is doing it poorly).
            Yes, but I am a windows user and for me this stupid things aren't a problems, on windows every apps look different and anybody is angry for this.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              Yes, but I am a windows user and for me this stupid things aren't a problems, on windows every apps look different and anybody is angry for this.
              I own a mac and most qt apps do not look completely native.It doesn't matter if qt use some native widgets. The end result is not inseparable from a a good Cocoa application.
              Last edited by Akka; 06-28-2014, 06:28 AM.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                A file picker has only 1 role in an application (from the devs point of view) - to give the path to a file or directory. Properly written apps do not interact with file picker dialogs, they only spawn them and take their output (the file path). There is no application workflow in this, it's only for the user.
                HAHAHAHAHA.

                "Either my argument is valid, or any suggestions means that they're improper".. comedy gold!

                Anyway, loads of applications show various things in file chooser dialogs. E.g. showing a preview of the file when you click on it. Really useful. Obviously it goes against what you're saying so instead of thinking about what people suggest, the suggestion is just improper / not properly written. Awesome, you're never going to be wrong with that kind of attitude.

                Anyway, good luck with that. But you're still wrong.

                Comment


                • #98
                  I'm bit out of sync with mozilla bugzilla, can cairo-gtk3 run plugins (flash, java) and does it still need separate builds of 32,64bit libxul?
                  Afaik gtk3 was usable for quite a while, but these two things prevented broad adoption.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    i dont understand why so many complains about they using GTK3+ va QT (wich i do agree they should use QT) when there is bigger issues like they trying to make shumway instead of using peeper (or however you call it) for flash.
                    i myself refuse to use FF untill something is done about this.
                    walking around with flash 12 aint cool guys wake up.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                      i dont understand why so many complains about they using GTK3+ va QT (wich i do agree they should use QT) when there is bigger issues like they trying to make shumway instead of using peeper (or however you call it) for flash.
                      i myself refuse to use FF untill something is done about this.
                      walking around with flash 12 aint cool guys wake up.
                      Why you need flash?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Temar View Post
                        You don't need a plugin infrastructure for that. A simple dlopen(3) can be used to check if the wrapper library is available and if it is, it will be used to open the file dialog, else the default dialog is used. This is only a few lines of code which even beginners can code in a few hours. This also solves the c++ linking dependencies problem.

                        So all I hear is excuses.
                        I agree, it would be quite easy for a beginner, IF and only Qt would provide a C API. However using C++ classes from via dlopened dynamic objects isn't that easy. Typically, this is done via C wrapper functions (c.f. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/C++-dlopen/thesolution.html). It seems, that there is a static function.

                        Code:
                        fileName = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this,
                             tr("Open Image"), "/home/jana", tr("Image Files (*.png *.jpg *.bmp)"));
                        I found that in
                        Code:
                        $ nm -D /usr/lib64/libQt5Widgets.so | grep getOpenFileName 
                        000000000034cd10 T _ZN11QFileDialog15getOpenFileNameEP7QWidgetRK7QStringS4_S4_PS2_6QFlagsINS_6OptionEE
                        000000000034d1f0 T _ZN11QFileDialog16getOpenFileNamesEP7QWidgetRK7QStringS4_S4_PS2_6QFlagsINS_6OptionEE
                        *Maybe* that works without a Qt main loop. Go ahead if you still think it's so easy If all what you write is true, I'm sure distributions will happily accept your patch as out-of-tree patch and enable their KDE/Qt users to use native file dialogs in GTK+ apps.

                        Originally posted by Temar View Post
                        I doubt that. Having different file selection dialogs is one of the greatest usability nightmares of the Linux desktop. I doubt you will find any usability expert who disagrees with this statement.
                        You may doubt that as much as you want. Fact it, that this LD_PRELOAD wrapper was never included in any distributions and activated by default. Doesn't matter what usability experts think. They don't build distributions.

                        Googling for your kwriteconfig-command (see below), I found the very LD_PRELOAD-wrapper mentioned at this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...K_Applications. It's called kgtk.


                        Originally posted by Temar View Post
                        Then you should install Qt's GTK integration theme. It's only one apt-get/yum/zypper/... away.
                        The mystery is another one. Qt doesn't always use native dialogs. It was explained a few posts ago.


                        Originally posted by Temar View Post
                        Yes, they are perfect examples as they show that many developers do care about usability and go the extra step, the GTK devs are refusing to go.
                        At least three developers. I never saw a native GTK+ app manually being tweaked to use Qt file dialogs.


                        Originally posted by Temar View Post
                        Every KDE application can use the GTK file selection dialog. It's only one kwriteconfig command away.
                        Nope, sorry, it isn't. I used the following kwriteconfig-command:

                        Code:
                        kwriteconfig --file kdeglobals --group General --key widgetStyle gtk
                        While Qt and KDE happily use Gtk+ themes, the file dialog is still wrong, c.f. in kwrite:




                        As written before, it depends on the Qt apps you use if they can show a GTK+ file dialog. I tried texstudio and it has native dialogs. So it's a KDE problem here.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                          Why you need flash?
                          heres a better question, why dont i need flash?
                          it aint dead yet, its very much alive...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                            heres a better question, why dont i need flash?
                            it aint dead yet, its very much alive...
                            It depends on your usecase. Video more likely you don't. Most stuff work with html5. Some sites still use it but personally i can do without them.

                            Comment


                            • So I enabled Shumway on Nightly and... it's gotten much better! It's not perfect, but it's WAY faster than it was when it was first announced, and it renders many things perfectly.

                              This is pretty good progress, I think
                              If only more devs were interested in it though... the github is lacking love.

                              Comment


                              • Any hope for GTK3 on Windows?

                                A compile switch maybe? I am a FOSS and mingw fan.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X