Linux Gaming Benchmarks With Plasma-Next, KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    So, seems to be ubuntu is the best way to play in linux.
    He didn't include Xfce this time, but Xfce has scored a lot better than Unity in the past. I was quite impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      So, seems to be ubuntu is the best way to play in linux.
      It wasn't the case as of Ubuntu 13.10. We need newer benchmarks to see if the situation has changed.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...dora20_p&num=1

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        He didn't include Xfce this time, but Xfce has scored a lot better than Unity in the past. I was quite impressed.
        DE has no impact on performance, only WM does. running metacity with gnome on top or xfce produces same result. though, enlightenment with 3d enabled, compositor disabled fares even better. not much, but it is fastest as far i tested. though, any other choice of those 2 settings makes enlightenment not even as good as gnome on mutter

Comment

For anyone with intel hardware that want the "suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" there is a workaround;
          There is a kwin script in kde examples that completely *disable* compositing as soon as it detects a fullscreen window.
          ...being compositing completely disabled, and not just the window unredirected, you'll have no flickering in fullscreen too.

i've made a zip to easy install it:

Code:
          wget http://wpage.unina.it/aorefice/sharevari/nocompositingfs.zip -O /tmp/nocompositingfs.zip && plasmapkg -t kwinscript -i /tmp/nocompositingfs.zip
          After that, you should have a new kwin script to activate; if not, try to restart kwin.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            DE has no impact on performance, only WM does. running metacity with gnome on top or xfce produces same result. though, enlightenment with 3d enabled, compositor disabled fares even better. not much, but it is fastest as far i tested. though, any other choice of those 2 settings makes enlightenment not even as good as gnome on mutter
            DE may have an impact on performance if it does things like updating widgets and so on...

Comment

Michael, are you going to post an updated benchmark for the new KDE 5 ?

Comment

Working...
              X