Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

    Phoronix: Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

    In early 2013 it was announced Opera would be switching to Google's Chromium Engine over its own internal web rendering engine it had been using up to that point. They switched to Google's forked WebKit engine and for about a year now have been doing new Windows releases while Linux was left out...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNzc

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

    In early 2013 it was announced Opera would be switching to Google's Chromium Engine over its own internal web rendering engine it had been using up to that point. They switched to Google's forked WebKit engine and for about a year now have been doing new Windows releases while Linux was left out...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNzc
    After 10 years of using my favorite browser, I have finally switched fulltime to Firefox.

    One year without support is simply too long, and closed-source browsers are no longer relevant. Bye bye, Opera.

    Comment


    • #3
      they are also adding support for PPAPI so you will be able to use flash 14 too like you can with chrome.

      Comment


      • #4
        ...but the logo is still the same... /sarcasm

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          After 10 years of using my favorite browser, I have finally switched fulltime to Firefox. (...) Bye bye, Opera.
          +1. IF and when I'll feel the need to install Chromium on my pc... I'll install Chromium.

          Comment


          • #6
            opera still failed

            when opera made the switch from presto to blink rendering engine the failed from the start by simple not bringing back the most important features like great tab management with tab stacking, side bar, bookmarks and removing built in email (never used it my self).

            long live Otter web browser!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              they are also adding support for PPAPI so you will be able to use flash 14 too like you can with chrome.
              Flash is more dead than even Opera.

              I haven't installed it for more than a year, and I still haven't found a single website that breaks. Video streaming works out of the box, audio streaming works out of the box, 3d graphics work out of the box - no reason left to use flash anymore. Really happy I don't have to use that buggy, insecure POS anymore.

              Comment


              • #8
                Opera is proprietary

                Their vision for an open world?
                Then why is their browser closed?

                Opera can take their proprietary software and shove it!

                I rather use Firefox or Chromium which are free open source software!

                Comment


                • #9
                  chromium outperforms firefox on all terms: speed, audio video codecs, appearance. it lacks only some plucins like youtube downloader.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was a big fan of opera, but ever since they switched to chromium they destroyed everything that made their product good. I've got nothing against chromium, but it was already a relatively limited browser and opera just made it even more difficult to use. I've switched to firefox about a year ago and I don't regret it. There are a couple things here and there that opera did that FF doesn't, but they're not important enough for me to care. Not that the new opera supports those features anyway...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X