Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Reportedly Releasing A New Skype For Linux Soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Oh no, this can't be anything good, if the Windows client is any indication. I hope someone keeps 4.2 RPMs around in case MS decides to, say, add ads into calls or such. Whenever I am forced to use Windows, I always install Skype 3.X because anything later is unbearable.

    As for the alternatives, SIP exists. Somehow not a whole lot of people talk about it, though. There are dozens of SIP providers, it supports text and video chats, encryption etc. It's also supported by Telepathy and to some extent libpurple. The problem is getting people to use it, and the somewhat complicated provider-specific setup.

    I have a SIP account as well ( greatemerald@getonsip.com ), but so far I don't have any contacts, so I'm not really sure if I have it set up correctly myself...

    Comment


    • #22
      The problem with alternatives to Skype is persuading the other parties to switch to that alternative, and agreeing on a common alternative, which might be tricky.
      I for example have been looking for alternatives for a long time, but it all comes down to persuading my relatives who are not very comfortable with computers in general to learn something new, or my Windows friends who are unlikely to change just because one of their friends is using something else. In the end, the person who wants to use an alternative, can do so, but have noone to use it with, or only a few people, and ends up having both Skype and the alternative.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
        Does anyone know of any other P2P VOIP clients?
        Unfortunately, there really is no real alternative
        Jitsi is a thing. It is really freaking ugly and written in Java, but they do have working OTR, and encrypted video chat via something called videobridge. It does protocol negotiation over XMPP but is P2P between call members.

        If i had any idea that I was doing, and the whole codebase wasn't the mutant GObject C nonsense, I would try to get that protocol working in telepathy-gabble...

        Go try talky.io, though. It works out of the box for me and friends on the latest firefox / chrome versons. And it even supports desktop sharing on the later. It is mostly open source, too.

        In the end, the person who wants to use an alternative, can do so, but have noone to use it with, or only a few people, and ends up having both Skype and the alternative.
        Hey look, MS proprietary protocol / format lock in. So new.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by vivo View Post
          The problem with alternatives to Skype is persuading the other parties to switch to that alternative, and agreeing on a common alternative, which might be tricky.
          I for example have been looking for alternatives for a long time, but it all comes down to persuading my relatives who are not very comfortable with computers in general to learn something new, or my Windows friends who are unlikely to change just because one of their friends is using something else. In the end, the person who wants to use an alternative, can do so, but have noone to use it with, or only a few people, and ends up having both Skype and the alternative.
          Exactly my point.

          Comment


          • #25
            VOIP clients

            Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
            Besides the fact that it's Spycrosoft software, I dislike Skype, because it constantly messes with my soundsettings, even though I've disabled any automatic adjustments. I also find it to be increadibly bulky/bloated.
            Does anyone know of any other P2P VOIP clients? I don't care if its unable to use Skypes network, or unable to call phones.
            I know Ekiga and Limphone. Both works great. I do not use them as much as i would want because none of the people who i know are using or have knowledge of something other than Skype.

            Comment


            • #26
              I'll wait to schrody.cat, a WebRTC free calling app for FirefoxOS and the web.

              https://twitter.com/waaltcom/status/468117467660058624

              Comment


              • #27
                I prefer to wait to schrody.cat, a WebRTC free calling app for FirefoxOS and the web

                https://twitter.com/waaltcom/status/468117467660058624

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                  Yeah, important reminder:
                  Do not even think about running the skype executable without sandboxing it with things like selinux or apparmor or running it under a dummy skype-only user account.
                  Nope. I'm going to run it normally.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Jitsi is a thing. It is really freaking ugly and written in Java, but they do have working OTR, and encrypted video chat via something called videobridge. It does protocol negotiation over XMPP but is P2P between call members.

                    If i had any idea that I was doing, and the whole codebase wasn't the mutant GObject C nonsense, I would try to get that protocol working in telepathy-gabble...
                    And it uses SIP. The old name for it was "SIP Communicator", even. Also, telepathy-rakia already exists.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      And it uses SIP. The old name for it was "SIP Communicator", even. Also, telepathy-rakia already exists.
                      I'm not talking about Jitsi in general, I'm talking about its video conferencing functionality. Does rakia have encryption and groupcall support?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X