Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features On The Roadmap For GTK+

Phoronix: Features On The Roadmap For GTK+

Yesterday the GTK+ gestures support branch was merged but besides that basic gestures support within the GNOME tool-kit, there's also many other features and improvements on the agenda for GTK+ developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re

They didn't want to collaborate with other projects(Qt projects had to suffer the most, like KDE, but now GTK is dropping drastically in popularity, so...), now they have to catch up...
    Proper cross-platform support, scene graph, better documentation - sounds like they try to catch up with the features Qt already had for years...

Comment

I thought that they weren't working towards xplatform support in particular but would accept patches? This seems a waste of resources, but I don't pay their salaries so I guess rh is happy with this.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        I thought that they weren't working towards xplatform support in particular but would accept patches? This seems a waste of resources, but I don't pay their salaries so I guess rh is happy with this.
        Qt supports Windows, Windows Phone (IIRC), OS X, Linux (X Server), Linux (Wayland), iOS, AND Android..... If GTK doesn't get Cross-platform support in, its dead.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Qt supports Windows, Windows Phone (IIRC), OS X, Linux (X Server), Linux (Wayland), iOS, AND Android..... If GTK doesn't get Cross-platform support in, its dead.
          Qt has pretty much always had better cross platform support. This hasn't changed recently. Why would this suddenly kill GTK if it hasn't before?

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
            Qt has pretty much always had better cross platform support. This hasn't changed recently. Why would this suddenly kill GTK if it hasn't before?
            Because drama.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
              Because up until now it was "okay" for GTK to say "Well we support Linux and kinda OS X... Windows if you're desperate." Now they've got Windows, WinRT, OS X, iOS, Android, Tizen, Mer, Firefox OS, 2 different windowing systems on Linux that they have to support, and who the hell knows what else is going to come. What developer is going to pick GTK to code their stuff in if they can pick Qt and have a much easier time supporting many platforms?

Especially NEW developers? I direct your attention to the recent GTK --> Qt conversion by Subsurface. Crappy theming on multiple platforms was the smallest of the dev's problems, add in shotty documention and hostile developers and you have a recipe for disaster for GTK.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What? First, gtk shouldn't be competing with qt. It doesn't have the resources. What it can aspire to is to be the native toolkit for Linux. Again! Of prefer it be EFL but gtk is the closest second that can fulfill that role. Qt is just to concerned with working everywhere than targeting a single platform in the cleanest way.
                In addition to being the native tk gtk should strive to make development as easy as possible (again, that's why I'd prefer something like EFL with its edje). It is, at least, being developed with gnome in mind so developing gnomic apps should be more natural than other tks. While I really don't like gnome design, I think developing the toolkit in conjunction is a smart move.

Comment

Blah!
                  Ah, sorry. Didn't see your "I LUV Qt" badge and the glint of all-devouring hatred in your eyes. My bad, carry on.

But seriously. A dive log switches to Qt and now we must all do the same or die a horrible death? But... but what if I actually like working with GTK and think that the documentation is fine. And what if I don't usually care about platforms other than desktop Linux? I know, I know... I must be insane. Anyone know a good therapist?

disclaimer: I use Qt when portability is an actual concern, but I prefer GTK for anything else. I've never liked any version of gnome though.

Comment

Why would GTK be dead?

There's still desktops using it, there's still software using it... not everyone cares about running on tablets and phablets and iOS and whatever, some apps don't need all that cross-platform junk, and they may be perfectly satisfied with GTK.

Comment

Working...
                    X