Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMPlayer 14.3 Has Experimental Blu-Ray Disc Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SMPlayer 14.3 Has Experimental Blu-Ray Disc Support

    Phoronix: SMPlayer 14.3 Has Experimental Blu-Ray Disc Support

    The MPlayer-based SMPlayer open-source media player project now has experimental support for playing back non-protected Blu-ray disc videos...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1MDI

  • #2
    A pity that there is no support for MPV Player!!

    Comment


    • #3
      April Fools!!! Good one.

      So I suppose SMPlayer 14.3 doesn't have experimental Blu-Ray Disc Support

      Comment


      • #4
        Current smplayer is 0.8.6 on Fedora, the website says 14.3.
        Regardless the april 1st jokes are always about wasting your time rather than being actually funny.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lethal View Post
          April Fools!!! Good one.

          So I suppose SMPlayer 14.3 doesn't have experimental Blu-Ray Disc Support
          It's probably not an April Fools'. However, non-restricted BD support is not very useful: it's only useful for the BDs you burned yourself, not for the ones you buy (movies...). Blame the "industry".

          VLC also has the same problem: they cannot release the keys legally, in free software.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zoitberg View Post
            A pity that there is no support for MPV Player!!
            And there won't be for a while. SMPlayer uses MPlayer's master-slave interface, which MPV removed (for good reasons).
            The MPV devs have stated they'd be willing to work on a new interface, one that actually makes sense, with the help of some front-end devs, but I'm fairly sure it's not high up on their To-Do list :P

            Slave mode is broken. This mode is entirely insane in the old versions of MPlayer. A proper slave mode application needed tons of code and hacks to get it right. The main problem is that slave mode is a bad and incomplete interface, and to get around that, applications parsed output messages intended for users. It is hard to know which messages exactly are parsed by slave mode applications. This makes it virtually impossible to improve terminal output intended for users without possibly breaking something.

            This is absolutely insane, and mpv will not try to keep slave mode compatible. If you are a developer of a slave mode application, contact us, and a new and better protocol can be developed.
            Last edited by Daktyl198; 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM. Reason: Added quote from "changes.rst"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              And there won't be for a while. SMPlayer uses MPlayer's master-slave interface, which MPV removed (for good reasons).
              The MPV devs have stated they'd be willing to work on a new interface, one that actually makes sense, with the help of some front-end devs, but I'm fairly sure it's not high up on their To-Do list :P
              the mpv UI is slim, sexy and usable to do what you must in videos: scroll skip pause change language etc. I think its good to not have more. Configuring a video player is a pain in the a** - it should just play the videos in automatically selected best settings to get best quality.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                And there won't be for a while. SMPlayer uses MPlayer's master-slave interface, which MPV removed (for good reasons).
                The MPV devs have stated they'd be willing to work on a new interface, one that actually makes sense, with the help of some front-end devs, but I'm fairly sure it's not high up on their To-Do list :P
                It's generally bad form to remove a feature that everybody requires and not readily supply an alternative function.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Out of curiosity, is there a linux distro that does not subscribe to jurisdictional patent/copyright regulations yet? I half-jokingly looked on distrowatch for something of the sort, but imagine I would have much better luck on freenet or some other darknet.

                  I guess one could just make their own "+FuckCops" USE flag in gentoo.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Current smplayer is 0.8.6 on Fedora, the website says 14.3.
                    Regardless the april 1st jokes are always about wasting your time rather than being actually funny.
                    As posted on their page, the developers have decided to just change the version naming. The jump to 14.3 is tied to the year/month of release.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      It's generally bad form to remove a feature that everybody requires and not readily supply an alternative function.
                      I think anybody who uses pretty advanced things like mpv dont need any fancy GUI, can learn a couple of keybinds and can read man to configure player for his needs. mpv is the fork, mplayer and his frontends should still be kicking.
                      Meanwhile, "everybody" should use VLC or the likes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by magika View Post
                        I think anybody who uses pretty advanced things like mpv dont need any fancy GUI, can learn a couple of keybinds and can read man to configure player for his needs. mpv is the fork, mplayer and his frontends should still be kicking.
                        Meanwhile, "everybody" should use VLC or the likes.
                        That's like saying that if people want a usable desktop they should use Windows. If you want to use Linux you don't need a fancy GUI.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by johnc View Post
                          That's like saying that if people want a usable desktop they should use Windows. If you want to use Linux you don't need a fancy GUI.
                          Don't take it to extremes. And windows is by far not the paradigm of usable desktop. Its rather like when user of a fluffy desktop gets behind of something like i3, or notepad and vim etc., you could argue things might need more GUI but thats not true.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johnc View Post
                            That's like saying that if people want a usable desktop they should use Windows. If you want to use Linux you don't need a fancy GUI.
                            Let me take a shot,

                            If people want a usable desktop they should use OSX. If you want to use linux, you need VMware.

                            There's no need to use the "W" word any more.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by russofris View Post
                              Let me take a shot,

                              If people want a usable desktop they should use OSX. If you want to use linux, you need VMware.

                              There's no need to use the "W" word any more.
                              Troll much?

                              - Gilboa
                              DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                              SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                              BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                              LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X