Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.13 RC Applications and Platform Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE 4.13 RC Applications and Platform Released

    Phoronix: KDE 4.13 RC Applications and Platform Released

    The release candidate of the upcoming KDE 4.13 Applications and Platform has been released...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0NjE

  • #2
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    The dumbed down Baloo = Feature removal. Nice work KDE!
    Jealousy hurts!

    Comment


    • #3
      ... Yeah. Baloo implements the feature set that actually get's used by applications, probably the rest will be coming again. YOU WON'T NOTICE ANY MISSING FEATURE!!!
      But why the hell nautilus removed split view?!? That feature WAS used alot, but the devs decided to remove it.

      Comment


      • #4
        How about we help Honton out

        Honton needs some therapy. Instead of inventing things to hate about KDE, he needs to contribute to KDE to fix all of its supposed problems.

        I suggest we start with a nice dose of vitamin BAN-HAMMER so that he doesn't have to worry about wasting his time making posts to KDE stories and can focus on writing more code.

        It's for his own good.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Honton needs some therapy. Instead of inventing things to hate about KDE, he needs to contribute to KDE to fix all of its supposed problems.

          I suggest we start with a nice dose of vitamin BAN-HAMMER so that he doesn't have to worry about wasting his time making posts to KDE stories and can focus on writing more code.

          It's for his own good.
          I suggest we just ignore him (yes, I do have him on my ignore list).
          It's annoying to see his posts, but it's even worse to see at least 4 comments right after him trying to prove him wrong.

          Anyway, to return on-topic, if anyone wants to try KDE 4.13 without having to install it on your system: https://susestudio.com/a/pRvzFf/kde-applications-4-13b3
          There are some nice changes in there, especially in Kate (suggestions/autocompletation!) and Okular (tabs!)

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, Baloo does not have exact feature parity with the current Nepomuk implementation, but the developers state it has about 80% of what Nepomuk can do and covers most of the primary use cases of Nepomuk with the possibility that the rest will be added in later. I don't see that as a feature getting "killed". If it was killed it would be KDE completely removing semantic desktop searching from KDE. That isn't the case.

            http://steckdenis.be/post-2014-03-10...-to-baloo.html

            "No big feature was lost and no big refactoring was done, as Baloo is still quite close to Nepomuk, but I was able to remove many duplicated lines and boilerplate."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lakerssuperman View Post
              Yes, Baloo does not have exact feature parity with the current Nepomuk implementation, but the developers state it has about 80% of what Nepomuk can do and covers most of the primary use cases of Nepomuk with the possibility that the rest will be added in later. I don't see that as a feature getting "killed". If it was killed it would be KDE completely removing semantic desktop searching from KDE. That isn't the case.
              As far as I am aware, no user-facing features were removed. Some API capabilities were removed, but no applications made use of them, and there was no indication they ever would. A few applications that used nepomuk for certain things have not been ported yet, but nepomuk is still available for those.

              Comment


              • #8
                AFAIK the only major regression is linking files with activities (Nepomuk can, Baloo can't).

                Comment


                • #9

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                    AFAIK the only major regression is linking files with activities (Nepomuk can, Baloo can't).
                    Interesting and good to know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And finally - Honton and every single post of him (even the infamous "Gnome kills KDE" Thread) got removed. Phoronix get's usable, again. Thx alot!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                        And finally - Honton and every single post of him (even the infamous "Gnome kills KDE" Thread) got removed. Phoronix get's usable, again. Thx alot!
                        Thanks to everyone! Phoronix is now a nice place. :-)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                          And finally - Honton and every single post of him (even the infamous "Gnome kills KDE" Thread) got removed. Phoronix get's usable, again. Thx alot!
                          Seriously?
                          Its a great day

                          I already thought the first post here was a citation from hin from another thread, like people getting crazy without him...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'll bet you that tomorrow Honton will have a new account. Maybe Bo$$2 or something like that? :-(

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                              And finally - Honton and every single post of him (even the infamous "Gnome kills KDE" Thread) got removed. Phoronix get's usable, again. Thx alot!
                              Indeed.
                              Hopefully the next B0$$ / Honton / name-that-troll will be banned before he/she/it becomes such a nuisance.

                              Per the discussion at hand, seems that 4.13 rc will land in Fedora-KDE unstable soon. Given previous track record (since more or less 4.5rc) I don't expect many issues.

                              - Gilboa
                              DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                              SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                              BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                              LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X