Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

Phoronix: Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

In continuation of my OS X Is No Longer On My Main System, But I Already Have Regrets article from earlier in the week, I have now found more comfort in using Unity 7 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the ASUS Zenbook Haswell ultrabook, but the HiDPI experience with Ubuntu's Unity is still far from perfect...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE?

Michael, did you try KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by seedo View Post
      Michael, did you try KDE?
      KDE Plasma desktop is quite good at being resolution independent. Plasma 2 will be even better.

Comment

Yeah, give KDE a try. To my experience it did the best in scaling for my 15" fullHD screen.
        Also KDE IMO is the best and only "uncut" classic full blown desktop experience.

Comment

Why is this a news?
          And I changed my desktop to LXDE.

Comment

Why not Gnome?

Gnome is the only DE to me that has the sexy sleekness reminiscent of OSX... hopefully you can update us on how Gnome works on that display of yours.

Comment

Google Chrome?

Yeah, I have to second, or third the suggestion (or question) on KDE. It seems like Plasma is pretty scalable. Also, as for web browser, how does google chrome do in that monster resolution?

Now, regarding the eye strain, this is interesting. Having such a massive resolution on a relatively small screen is interesting: it'll make pictures look better, but you still want fonts to be similar size (but presumably better defined) than in a screen with similar size but smaller resolution. That's effectively what happens on cellphones. No surprise that Ubuntu's UI does well. And let me state one more time that I think Ubuntu's move into the mobile space was brilliant.

Cheers!

Comment

I have set scale to 120% as default in chrome, most sites are playing nice upscaled, but some rare ones are not usable at all.

Comment

KDE is the most slow on benchmarks and in my personal opinion is messy too..

Unity is the best choice between performance, productivity and optical result.

Comment

Originally posted by realcnbs View Post
                    I have set scale to 120% as default in chrome, most sites are playing nice upscaled, but some rare ones are not usable at all.
                    Could you please try my website to see if it works in yours? I want to make sure it works regardless of DPI.

I'm a techie who loves EPCOT Center from the 1980s. I mainly post blog articles related to technology, but sometimes I might post non-tech articles as well.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X