Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Music App Undergoes Further Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu's Music App Undergoes Further Planning

    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Music App Undergoes Further Planning

    The Qt-based Music App that in development for the phone/tablet versions of Ubuntu Linux that will eventually find its way to the desktop was a discussion item this morning on the final day of the virtual 14.03 Ubuntu Developer Summit...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyOTY

  • #2
    tablet/desktop interface
    They lost me right there. Keep your tablet interface off my desktop! (No, I don't believe that a design can work equally well for both cases unless it dramatically alters its appearance based on pixels detected, but thanks for asking...)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DanL View Post
      They lost me right there. Keep your tablet interface off my desktop! (No, I don't believe that a design can work equally well for both cases unless it dramatically alters its appearance based on pixels detected, but thanks for asking...)
      What are you doing here then? Ubuntu's Unity as well as Gnome 3's interfaces are most certainly hybrid interfaces. What makes you think it's a tablet only interface though?

      Comment


      • #4
        All I care about for this app is for 3rd party streaming services (pandora, ect) to be built in by default and to be treated like a first class citizen by the application. I don't know about everyone, but I almost entirely listen to streaming music now-a-days and I'd love to see this a consideration in the official Ubuntu music application.
        Also, f*ck gstreamer, buggy thing crashes too much. Use vlc's audio codacs. I don't care with they require a license to use, I want play back to work right.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
          What are you doing here then? Ubuntu's Unity as well as Gnome 3's interfaces are most certainly hybrid interfaces. What makes you think it's a tablet only interface though?
          He's just complaining for the sake of compaining, and he's using Reductio ad absurdum/Strawman's Arguement to support his claim becuase his intial stance is too weak to stand on it's own.

          Comment


          • #6
            What are you doing here then?
            I'm not sure what "here" is referring to. Phoronix? Ubuntu? (I use Xubuntu in VM's to test software and fix bugs, though I'm mainly a Debian sid/xfce user because I like the rolling release model.)

            Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            He's just complaining for the sake of compaining, and he's using Reductio ad absurdum/Strawman's Arguement to support his claim becuase his intial stance is too weak to stand on it's own.
            That's right, if you don't like your opponent's argument and have nothing to counter it with, just whip out the "strawman" concept...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              complaining for the sake of compaining
              Speaking of that, why are you complaining about gstreamer? Works for me (at least for audio).

              Comment


              • #8
                In before DRMs and MP3...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Speaking of that, why are you complaining about gstreamer? Works for me (at least for audio).
                  Becuase, literally, Pithos has crashed and reported a "playbackerror:gstreamer" twice this morning alone. Once since I made my earlier post in fact!

                  I like how reread my earlier post and found something you could use to Tu quoque bringing up my earlier post and claiming that I "complaining".

                  Your making an huge error though, I'm not your opponent. I'm not some buggy man sitting on the other side of the computer trying to bring you down. I'm not paid by microsoft, I'm not paid by Conanical. I'm not the archtypes of your imagination. I'm a person, with a different opinion.
                  Last edited by dh04000; 03-13-2014, 03:42 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    Your making an huge error though, I'm not your opponent. I'm not some buggy man sitting on the other side of the computer trying to bring you down. I'm not paid by microsoft, I'm not paid by Conanical. I'm not the archtypes of your imagination.
                    LMFAO. You have a much more active (and delusional) imagination if that's what you think I'm thinking...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like how absurdly NIH this comes off as. Clementine is the best music player I've ever used, and it is pure qt based like Canonical wants, but hey, they don't have a CLA on it.

                      The only excuse is "we don't like the interface" but anything they make will have none of the features Clementine does.

                      On the phone, though, a music player is probably one of the most trivial apps ever with qt multimedia. That shouldn't be hard to make unless they try to get web services integrations.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hooray, another music player. Just yesterday, I was thinking, "You know what this community needs? ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER!!!"

                        Hopefully, they'll implement a new type of robust and extensible metadata-tagging and come up with a new container format as well with an all new type of DRM so that they can rip off gullible rich teenagers in new and exciting ways.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by russofris View Post
                          Hooray, another music player. Just yesterday, I was thinking, "You know what this community needs? ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER!!!"

                          Hopefully, they'll implement a new type of robust and extensible metadata-tagging and come up with a new container format as well with an all new type of DRM so that they can rip off gullible rich teenagers in new and exciting ways.
                          I agree that we don't need another music player if it's just going to be like the rest, but I'm yet to find a decent player on Linux that competes with Media Monkey on Windows. Something that good we certainly could do with.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by russofris View Post
                            Hooray, another music player. Just yesterday, I was thinking, "You know what this community needs? ANOTHER MUSIC PLAYER!!!"

                            Hopefully, they'll implement a new type of robust and extensible metadata-tagging and come up with a new container format as well with an all new type of DRM so that they can rip off gullible rich teenagers in new and exciting ways.
                            thats actualy true... sadly...
                            i tyred like 5 or 6 music players and they were all crap. (my opinion)
                            i decided to use VLC for music, thats how bad it is xD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                              I agree that we don't need another music player if it's just going to be like the rest
                              /emote Makes Nostradamus face

                              I'm sure this one will start up and ask you to point to your library. It will then do nothing for 15 mins while it spins your disk scanning the library. It will then find 99% of the songs your last music player did, because in 2005, you thought Musepack was a good idea for a month. It will lock up for 5 minutes while it tries to render the "ALL" playlist on your gigantic music collection. You'll sort by artist and start a song, which will start skipping when you go to fetch all the missing album art for the first time. It's not going to find artwork for 30% of your collection, despite each album having it's own directory containing a file called "front.jpg", cause why would anyone do something like that?

                              Your music will sound exactly the same as it did when you played it in 2000 with XMMS and/or Winamp, except for now, the "Music Player" will bombard you with advertising for shit you don't need while trying to make it so that you pay for the songs you already own. For an extra $.99, you can "enable" a crappy visualization that looks just like Milkshape did back when you actually cared about the bands you listened to.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X