6-Way Linux Desktop 2D/3D Performance Comparison On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-Way Linux Desktop 2D/3D Performance Comparison On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: 6-Way Linux Desktop 2D/3D Performance Comparison On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Our latest benchmarking of Ubuntu 14.04 is looking at the 2D X11 and 3D OpenGL performance of six different desktop environments when benchmarked on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The tested desktops included Unity, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, GNOME Shell, and Openbox.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting results.

Since KDE seems to be the odd one out, is there any chance you could test openSUSE 13.1 KDE to see how it fares?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by imperfectlink View Post
      Since KDE seems to be the odd one out, is there any chance you could test openSUSE 13.1 KDE to see how it fares?
      At some point in the future depending upon how many others request such a test...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

KDE Performance

Desktop effects in KDE were disabled?

Comment

What is the default configuration for KDE: Xrender or OpenGL? Which OpenGL version? Native/Raster? And what is the Vsync option?

Since it impacts the performance, it would be interesting to have it with the tests.

Comment

It always intrigued me how some tests perform better in composited, worse in non-composited and vise versa. It makes sense, but it really shows how there isn't a perfect graphics arrangement, depending on what you do. But, if you've got multiple GPUs, one configured for desktop use and the other configured for GPGPU tasks, I guess you get the best of both worlds.

It's a shame KDE is still behind, I wonder if the wayland ports of it will get any better, or if maybe there's 1 small tweak that makes a big difference (such as vsync). I'm well aware KDE performs the worst, but my hardware is good enough that it doesn't really have enough of an impact on me for me to complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              It always intrigued me how some tests perform better in composited, worse in non-composited and vise versa. It makes sense, but it really shows how there isn't a perfect graphics arrangement, depending on what you do. But, if you've got multiple GPUs, one configured for desktop use and the other configured for GPGPU tasks, I guess you get the best of both worlds.

It's a shame KDE is still behind, I wonder if the wayland ports of it will get any better, or if maybe there's 1 small tweak that makes a big difference (such as vsync). I'm well aware KDE performs the worst, but my hardware is good enough that it doesn't really have enough of an impact on me for me to complain about.
              I would assume 'Suspend Desktop effects for fullscreen windows" was not checked, as usual. If this is the case, I would suspect that enabling that would bring back in line with the other DEs.

Comment

The things is. This test was testing the defaults. And I suspect the default is still the stupid non-redirect for fullscreen applications. (I don't know for sure since I haven't used kde in a year, xfce) Is there anyone who could confirm if this is the case or not?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                  The things is. This test was testing the defaults.
                  Defaults on Ubuntu, which is infamous for intentionally breaking KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

KDE doesn't un-redirect by default for fullscreen apps, which imho, is the right option. If you enable that tickbox, games typically run a lot faster. Apparently the redirecting penalty on wayland can be pretty much zero :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X