Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell Lands High DPI Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME Shell Lands High DPI Support

    Phoronix: GNOME Shell Lands High DPI Support

    The GNOME Shell now has HiDPI support for scaling its user-interface on high DPI displays...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwMjE

  • #2
    nice! looking forward to 3.12

    Comment


    • #3
      It's great but I can't shake off this thought. Why is everything in IT dragging behind technologies available for years? The interfaces are catching up (Windows 7+ scaling seems to work well too) but there's still the problem of non-scalable web content. It often sucks to use a 120+ ppi display. You can scale whole pages in a browser but then images get blurry. Or you can scale up the text but then page layout gets all messy (often built around bitmap elements).

      As for Gnome Shell, the current scaling factor (dconf) works very well for moderately high ppi displays, like 130 ppi. Especially that Gnome Shell relies heavily on .css config files.

      Comment


      • #4
        gnome-session-flashback

        I hope they fix it for gnome-session-flashback (uses gnome-panel) too.

        Because I don't like gnome-shell.
        It doesn't suit me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          It's great but I can't shake off this thought. Why is everything in IT dragging behind technologies available for years? The interfaces are catching up (Windows 7+ scaling seems to work well too) but there's still the problem of non-scalable web content. It often sucks to use a 120+ ppi display. You can scale whole pages in a browser but then images get blurry. Or you can scale up the text but then page layout gets all messy (often built around bitmap elements).

          As for Gnome Shell, the current scaling factor (dconf) works very well for moderately high ppi displays, like 130 ppi. Especially that Gnome Shell relies heavily on .css config files.
          There is CSS viewport sizing for websites that can be used for scaling. However until recently, no one needed to and for big sites, they havent been made mobile friendly yet.

          In short, it is quite possible to have good web solutions for different resolutions right now (iphone is probably the smallest mainstream one... its default is viewport is 320 pixels wide.)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by You- View Post
            There is CSS viewport sizing for websites that can be used for scaling. However until recently, no one needed to and for big sites, they havent been made mobile friendly yet.

            In short, it is quite possible to have good web solutions for different resolutions right now (iphone is probably the smallest mainstream one... its default is viewport is 320 pixels wide.)
            The thing is if we get it done on the browser's side, there's hope. If we leave it up to website owners, we're s.wed as it will take years to get them to implement the new layout "system".

            Ironically the only hope may be with marketing hyenas. They won't give up the 'numbers sell', with regard to the pixels, easily.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bucic View Post
              The thing is if we get it done on the browser's side, there's hope. If we leave it up to website owners, we're s.wed as it will take years to get them to implement the new layout "system".

              Ironically the only hope may be with marketing hyenas. They won't give up the 'numbers sell', with regard to the pixels, easily.
              Something that would get things rolling if is Google gave higher PageRank score to scaleable websites.
              Then you would see all SEO running to make their sites scalable.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's not just a gnome problem.
                ubuntu, mint, kde they all allow us to change the font dpi but not the display one.
                xrandr dpi never works. scale turn everything a mess.
                when using under full hd my eyes hurts sometimes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Something that would get things rolling if is Google gave higher PageRank score to scaleable websites.
                  Then you would see all SEO running to make their sites scalable.
                  My point exactly. If we play on 'striving for innovation', i.e. bullshit, then we won't get anything done. Play on greed and we'll see them rushing.

                  Originally posted by fritzls View Post
                  It's not just a gnome problem.
                  ubuntu, mint, kde they all allow us to change the font dpi but not the display one.
                  xrandr dpi never works. scale turn everything a mess.
                  when using under full hd my eyes hurts sometimes.
                  Please state your desktop environment, resolution and [display size (or diagonal and aspect ratio)].

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fedora is already backporting this to F20: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=497908

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I really hope Unity supports HDPI maybe when 14.04 or 14.10 comes out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bucic View Post

                        Please state your desktop environment, resolution and [display size (or diagonal and aspect ratio)].
                        UBUNTU 14.04
                        gnome ( from official repository)
                        kde ( from official repository)
                        Linux mint ( from night repository)
                        unity ( default )

                        resolution = not Ultra resolution but just full hd 1920x1080
                        display size = 382mm x 215mm

                        And the default DPI is? 96dpi. I cant change this no matter what i do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Integer?

                          Why not floating point so people with 1080p laptops can benefit?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Per monitor support?

                            Wonder what the chances are of this supporting a mix of high dpi and normal dpi screens? Seems like a pretty common use case to plug a laptop with high res screen into a lower resolution monitor or projector.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              To answer some questions:

                              Re multimonitor and integer scaling:
                              https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desk.../msg00010.html

                              Why can't I change the dpi from 96?
                              See: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-s...-manager.c#n70

                              As for 1080p I don't think your dpi is high enough to warrant scaling everything just increasing the font scale if needed should be enough. (If you have a 192dpi+ 1080p display you have a problem but I don't think you can get such a display outside of smartphones).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X