Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 Might Drop OpenJDK Java Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04 Might Drop OpenJDK Java Support

Canonical developers are currently deciding whether to drop OpenJDK from the main Ubuntu Linux archive and move it into the universe repository for the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Might as well drop OpenJDK completely and direct users to the official Oracle implementation of Java since it has better performance.

OpenJDK is always the first package to be uninstalled in any distribution I use, being replaced with Oracle JDK

Comment

Please Canoncial, can you tell me why is you are trying to loose your customers. Cross platform java apps are good for ubuntu compatibility. Also much of your userbase are developer who use Ubuntu as a easy to use linux base for developing. Are you planning to discomfort them more? Also please think about your server approah, although most professional production use Oracle JDK but default OpenJDK is good and easy enough for small scale deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Might as well drop OpenJDK completely and direct users to the official Oracle implementation of Java since it has better performance.

OpenJDK is always the first package to be uninstalled in any distribution I use, being replaced with Oracle JDK
        Oracle JDK and OpenJDK are virtually identical. The current test that the JDK source tree performs to determine whether it is Oracle or Open JDK is the existence of Lucida fonts. That's pretty much one of the only things it has left to differentiate.

Any speed difference is likely the result of different compiler settings.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
          Oracle JDK and OpenJDK are virtually identical. The current test that the JDK source tree performs to determine whether it is Oracle or Open JDK is the existence of Lucida fonts. That's pretty much one of the only things it has left to differentiate.

I won't know about that.

But i do know that every time I try to start IntelliJ i get a warning about how OpenJDK is known to cause performance issues and that the IDE should be launched with Oracle JDK. Something like this:

$ ./idea.sh
          OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b24~pre2-1)
          OpenJDK Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)
          WARNING: You are launching IDE using OpenJDK Java runtime.

THIS IS STRICTLY UNSUPPORTED DUE TO KNOWN PERFORMANCE AND GRAPHICS PROBLEMS!

Comment

Not only they can't do that because of license reasons, it's also proprietary, so no.

Also, that news title is very misleading. It sounds like OpenJDK will be removed from the Ubuntu repositories, which is not the case...

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post

Isn't the Hotspot JIT proprietary?

Comment

I won't know about that.
                But i do know that every time I try to start IntelliJ i get a warning about how OpenJDK is known to cause performance issues and that the IDE should be launched with Oracle JDK. Something like this:
                Hum well, you're using a quite prehistoric version of Java: Java 6 We're already seeing Java8 around the corner !
                Since Java7, OpenJDK is THE reference impelmentation and 99.9% of application won't see any difference.
                It's astonishing to see how legends (granted they were true in the old times) are hard to overcome in people's mind.

That said, discarding OpenJDL from main Ubuntu is a strange move as I imagine the cumber of developpers using it every day is quite high...
                Technically what is the problem ? Does Ubuntu has many specific patches to apply to OpenJDK ? What justifies it ? Seems strange to me...

Comment

I won't know about that.

Which once upon a time that was true, but i was under the impression that they had pretty much leveled out on performance by now. You really shouldn't immediately trust warnings like that, since I've seen it happen more than once where that warning got put in, the issues were fixed, and no one ever remembered to strip the warning out for one reason or another. Best to just test it yourself and see if there are problems, and if there are, just report them so they get fixed.
                  Last edited by Ericg; 22 January 2014, 01:33 PM.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                    Isn't the Hotspot JIT proprietary?
                    Not anymore (see Wikipedia)

Comment

Working...
                    X