Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK3 Version Of Firefox Up For Fedora Testing

Phoronix: GTK3 Version Of Firefox Up For Fedora Testing

It's taking a long time of the GTK3 port of Mozilla Firefox to be completed, but it's now been made a bit easier for those wanting to test out GTK3 Firefox on Fedora Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can we please talk about how bullshit this is? I love Mozilla and Firefox but it's not like there's a million lines of GTK code in there; what the hell constitutes 3 years of porting?

Also a good question: what does plugin-container have to do with GTK? Rather, what does NPAPI have to do with GTK that it cannot be built without linking to GTK2?
    (at least that's what I've gotten from a brief look at the bug linked in the article)

Comment

Hmm, will this finally solve the issue of using dark desktop themes with Firefox (where input boxes become unreadable etc.)?

Comment

GTK libraries do not version symbols
        I didn't realize this, but looking at the packages it seems to be the case. Is there a reason for this?

Comment

I didn't realize this, but looking at the packages it seems to be the case. Is there a reason for this?
          I think I heard that officially the gtk devs have said that gtk is for gnome and that they don't support stable interfaces for programs, themes, etc that other stuff might use. I could be remembering stuff wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Also a good question: what does plugin-container have to do with GTK? Rather, what does NPAPI have to do with GTK that it cannot be built without linking to GTK2?
            (at least that's what I've gotten from a brief look at the bug linked in the article)
            I think it more has to do with Flash being linked to GTK2; currently it is not possible to use GTK2 and GTK3 in the same process, thus Flash won't work with a GTK3 built of firefox where the plugin lives in the same process as the browser gui.

RESOLVED (pochu27) in Core Graveyard - Plug-ins. Last updated 2022-05-16.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              I think I heard that officially the gtk devs have said that gtk is for gnome and that they don't support stable interfaces for programs, themes, etc that other stuff might use. I could be remembering stuff wrong though.
              GTK+ does not support stable interfaces for programs? Actually, GTK+ is quite API and even ABI stable. Even binary themes used to work without recompilation and I bet this is still the case.

Comment

The problem is, as stated in the wiki, the lack of symbol versions. Thus, having the same same, if you load both GTK2 and GTK3 into the very same process, the symbols interfere.

P.S.: stupid 5 min edit limit

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  I think it more has to do with Flash being linked to GTK2; currently it is not possible to use GTK2 and GTK3 in the same process, thus Flash won't work with a GTK3 built of firefox where the plugin lives in the same process as the browser gui.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bu...id=627699#c275
                  Interesting. I never noticed that, but yes, flash-player requires libgtk-x11-2.0 at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bu...id=627699#c275
                    I could-of swore plugin-container was already a separate process... *shrug*

At this point, I'd go for a Qt-based Firefox if it meant faster porting to newer versions :/
                    (btw, what versions of Qt does flash support?)

Comment

Working...
                    X