Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Akka View Post
    Looks great. It's a good thing more and more apps get the new guidelines.
    The only thing is if you have a old screen, the header bar get very big. It's fine with a modern high resolution screen but with my old 1280x800 it is to big.
    It looks really cluttered to me. There is a global menu at the top panel. Then we have a menu at the left top of the window bar, then we have a menu at the right window bar.
    Wtf ? Do they seriosly tried to work with this ? If one would measure the mouse ways in doing real work (like web programming) it would be: Unity > KDE > Gnome

    Also instead of redoing the UI in every release, they should improve their applications, which are a mess since Gnome2 compared to KDE's.

    Comment


    • #17
      looks ugly and painful to work. But in a tablet maybe is fine. :P
      Last edited by felipe; 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Pseus View Post
        Maybe I am the only one, but I do like the new interface. Looks less cluttered. Reminds me a bit of Sublime Text perhaps? Gnome is moving to the new interface guidelines (that's why gedit has changed). I see many ideas from the Mac world (top menu, no file/edit/about menu in the same screen, few buttons, big tabs, etc.).
        Agreed. It's becoming more useable and out of your face. Still OS X is nowhere near as usable as NeXTSTEP in its day. Then again the tear away menus that store state back in 1989-1996 seems to be considered archaic by today's all-in-one world.

        Comment


        • #19
          As someone who use gedit daily, I welcome these changes. The current toolbar simply contains lots of stuff that I never use (by clicking the toolbar). Freeing up space is always welcome.
          Not sure yet what I think about the current tab design though. Have to see how it works when it lands.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by theghost View Post
            It looks really cluttered to me. There is a global menu at the top panel. Then we have a menu at the left top of the window bar, then we have a menu at the right window bar.
            Wtf ? Do they seriosly tried to work with this ? If one would measure the mouse ways in doing real work (like web programming) it would be: Unity > KDE > Gnome

            Also instead of redoing the UI in every release, they should improve their applications, which are a mess since Gnome2 compared to KDE's.
            I like it as long they only have less used stuff in the global menu in the top bar.
            I really like the new nautilus in 3.10. But I think global menu is pretty useless for stuff you need often.

            Comment


            • #21
              Well, at least they didn't remove any functionality, apparently. I'm curious if having the "open file" button on the far left and the "save file" button on the far right will work though, but I mostly just use Ctrl+S anyway, so it doesn't bother me. But it does look like a completely arbitrary design decision to me. What could possibly be the logic in separating the "file operations" buttons, and putting the save action next to the app options menu and the close button?

              Comment


              • #22
                You remember the old joke of windows powered car having breaks accessible over "start"?
                Well, in gnome-powered car, break pedals are accessible inside the trunk and the steering wheel is under the car.
                Main point - it looks good.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by felipe View Post
                  looks ugly and painful to work. But in a tablet maybe is fine. :P
                  I don't see why it would be fine on tablets. Any extra clicks are bad for tablets. Small icons are bad as well.

                  Originally posted by devius View Post
                  I'm curious if having the "open file" button on the far left and the "save file" button on the far right will work though, but I mostly just use Ctrl+S anyway, so it doesn't bother me. But it does look like a completely arbitrary design decision to me. What could possibly be the logic in separating the "file operations" buttons, and putting the save action next to the app options menu and the close button?
                  You'd have to ask Microsoft about it. They did the same thing, first in Office, later in other applications (Paint etc.). Though admittedly the right icons were shortcuts, the left icon had all the file-related options once expanded.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    There are Adobe Brackets for some: http://brackets.io/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Gedit Receives Brand New UI

                      Gedit Receives Brand New UI
                      I didn't even need to read the rest what this means: Reducing the number of useful buttons to a minimum and asuming the human being generally is a moron. Then I saw the screens and guess what... it's the gnome devs who are as predictable as morons.
                      For me this is no f*cking design, this goddamn lazyness by the designers. They have literally no idea of ergononomy during work. I don't want click through some freaking lists, just because it would have been to easy to just place a button... Pressing ALT to find the shutdown button.. wtf?? Going to the upper left corner, than going to the very right to switch workspaces... No I will stop here and never come back to GNOME until this won't change, this is just ALIEN. Yeah sorry that's the best word I can find for such idiocy and redundancy (in it's way way worse than kde). ALIEN.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I only care about its loading time. To me gedit only plays the role of notepad under windows, but it's too slow.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                          I don't want click through some freaking lists, just because it would have been to easy to just place a button..
                          So, you always click the mouse on undo, redo, cut, paste, copy and search. You don't use keyboard shortcuts?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I think it is a good move, because all apps should feel the same. There is no such thing as GNOME 3. It is something in between GNOME 2 and something new called GNOME, but very different than GNOME 2, and maybe that is what makes people angry. My opinion is that GNOME devs have kind of idea what they want, but they didn't finish it. The whole GNOME 3 thing looks like a beta.

                            The best example is GTK+ 3.0. It is much harder to make a modern app that looks like nautilus than the simple old app, and if they want to make their apps look the same, that should be in GTK+. That means GTK+ should change, and that means GTK+ 4.0, and that means GNOME 4.

                            Just hope it will end well.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                              Pressing ALT to find the shutdown button.. wtf?? Going to the upper left corner, than going to the very right to switch workspaces... No I will stop here and never come back to GNOME until this won't change
                              That's what I meant with extra long mouse ways. Useless, especially when using multi monitor setup.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                That's just awful.
                                And why would I move my mouse across the whole screen to first save a file and then open another one?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X