Firefox Developers Continue Tuning ASM.js Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azakai View Post
    As I wrote in a comment on the blog, yes, the version can matter. I didn't test the very latest LLVM and gcc versions because the goal wasn't to see the very limit of performance, but get a more broad picture of what results people can get by using typical native compilers (most applications people use are not compiled with bleeding edge compilers).

So I used the gcc that came with my linux distro - it's the one that built practically every single app I run on my machine - and for LLVM, I used the same version used by emscripten, which means it has identical frontend optimizations and the comparison of native to JS is more apples-to-apples. But again, I agree that testing the very latest is interesting as well, just depends on what your purpose is.
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I have to say that i've only read the phoronix article and not your blog post. I Should have read yours as well before claiming unfair comparison by mozilla (you).

I do now get why you compared against clang.

Good luck squeezing out the last part to be at native (clang) speeds. I do performance optimization quite often (in completely different areas) and know that the last bit towards a set goal are usually the most difficult parts to get.

Comment

Honestly most apps aren't cpu limited anyway

I mean, the occasional app like unzipping can go as fast as possible, but for the most part i think the main concern with asm.js is now memory usage, not cpu usage. That, and the fact that the increased cpu usage means a bit more power is being used, which is important on mobile.

Comment

Working...
      X