Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GParted 0.17 Supports Online Resizing

Phoronix: GParted 0.17 Supports Online Resizing

GParted 0.17.0 was released today and its key feature is support for online resizing of file-systems along with other bug fixes and updates...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzOTM

I find software RAID support to be a bigger deal - it kind of surprises me it took so long.

Comment

Software Raid mdadm is so common these days... gparted really needs to fully support mdadm raid !

Comment

To online resizing, I only have to say... Fucking finally!

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          To online resizing, I only have to say... Fucking finally!
          Yeah. Now we just need people to realize that resizing is a professional RAID feature. One of those don't-try-this-at-home-kids things.

"I resized a partition and now my PC/laptop won't boot" was one of the most common complaints I saw on Ubuntu Forums along with "WiFi doesn't work" and "I tried to set up dual boot and lost all my data".

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            Yeah. Now we just need people to realize that resizing is a professional RAID feature. One of those don't-try-this-at-home-kids things.

"I resized a partition and now my PC/laptop won't boot" was one of the most common complaints I saw on Ubuntu Forums along with "WiFi doesn't work" and "I tried to set up dual boot and lost all my data".
            Yeah, I dare not resize any partition with data in it. Back in the days when i used windows, i used to defrag and make sure nothing was at the end of the partition before i shrink it, but one does not do that with ext4, rite?

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan View Post
              Yeah, I dare not resize any partition with data in it. Back in the days when i used windows, i used to defrag and make sure nothing was at the end of the partition before i shrink it, but one does not do that with ext4, rite?
              Yeah, such a feature requires plenty of warnings, and possibly a "safe resize (slow)" option that will migrate all data that would be affected to a better place on the partition (i.e., a relocate-to-front (or end if that's how the resize goes) defragment).

Comment

I've lost my data due to resizing only once, and it was NTFS. Thank god I have R-Studio.

Comment

I've resized partitions all the time whether they be FAT, NTFS, EXT3/4, swap, or HFS. I've personally never had corrupt data, even on a RAID0 setup. Generally, I make clones of the disks before I do it, just because there is a big risk.

Comment

With the hundreds of resizes I've done over the years, I've never lost any data or ran into any issues whatsoever. I think one thing that might have contributed to my success with resizing is the fact that any time I resize a NTFS partition I make sure to do it right in Windows, this is what I was recommended to do on any Windows Vista or higher NTFS partition and I have had no reason not to keep doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                      With the hundreds of resizes I've done over the years, I've never lost any data or ran into any issues whatsoever. I think one thing that might have contributed to my success with resizing is the fact that any time I resize a NTFS partition I make sure to do it right in Windows, this is what I was recommended to do on any Windows Vista or higher NTFS partition and I have had no reason not to keep doing it that way.
                      I've managed to resize (shrink) Windows partitions from linux without any problems, and I don't recall defragmenting either.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                        I've managed to resize (shrink) Windows partitions from linux without any problems, and I don't recall defragmenting either.
                        The ntfsresize tool (which GParted uses) does the defragmenting & re-allocating before it resizes, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                          Software Raid mdadm is so common these days... gparted really needs to fully support mdadm raid !
                          Patches welcome!

Creating some simple types of software RAID from inside GParted should be possible, changing an existing one might be rather difficult (unless you can be 100% sure to understand all options/variations...).

BTW: if you can't program yourself, you can also help by describing how you think it should work (maybe make some mock-ups or such?) on the GParted forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X