Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment's Terminal Gets New Features

Phoronix: Enlightenment's Terminal Gets New Features

Terminology, the terminal emulator for the Enlightenment desktop built atop their EFL libraries, is up to version 0.4 and it's landed heavy with new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Something I've never gotten is WHY each desktop environment feels like needs to build a terminal off of their libraries. Why isn't there an non-desktop linked standard terminal so we can all move on?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Something I've never gotten is WHY each desktop environment feels like needs to build a terminal off of their libraries. Why isn't there an non-desktop linked standard terminal so we can all move on?
      Why is this bothering you. Are you a developer that is wasting their precious time on something?

AFAIK there's xterm which works everywhere, have fun using that.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        Nope, GTK/VTE based. On a pure KDE desktop one wouldn't want to have to install the entire GTK/cairo/glib stack.

Comment

Some idiots try to make their own display server, instead of relying on the existing non-desktop linked standard one... why complain about terminals?

Comment

256 colors

Nice to see it support 256 colors.

Comment

I believe terminology started as a way to showcase the power of EFL/Elementary. Even if i am not so font of the command line its a cool project. Gregkh endorsed it recently.

Comment

So which would you choose? Xterm? Rxvt? Rxvt-Unicode? Roxterm? Or one of the many other terminal emulators?
                Why not extend the question to other software? Why is there a text editor for any DE? Why do we not all just use Vim or Emacs? And do we really need more than one mediaplayer? Isn't pure MPlayer enough?

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                  On Arch Linux trying to pacman -Rnsc glib2 or pacman -Rnsc cairo results in removal of the whole KDE desktop
                  Yeah, in hindsight, it's probably impossible to get a KDE desktop sans glib/gtk dependency these days without compiling everything yourself. QtCore will try to build with glib based mainloop support by default, and I think the gtk style for QtWidgets comes by default as well.

Comment

A stand alone terminal will need to duplicate a whole lot of functionality the GUI tool kits already implement. i.e. If you wanted a stand alone Terminal, you'd need to write a font rendering library, an abstraction around the native APIs (X and Wayland for linux, USER\MFC\.Net\Metro for Windows...), something for concurrency, something to handle mouse input, audio output for the beeps and such, maybe an image library to go beyond vt100... Essentially, you'll be writing a fair sized GUI Tool Kit even before starting.

Historically, GTK started in much the same way: it originates from GIMP as the widgets were fractured out into a library. Only Qt was conceived as a C++ GUI Tool Kit right from the start. Similarly, EFL originates from the Enlightenment developers who, after the original DE, decided they need to start from the libraries and work their way up.

Currently, all the libraries are now mostly capable separate entities that offer a whole suit of functionalities. e.g. They all have an internal threading approach\implementation. And they all abstract the native APIs completely so in principle it's possible to write cross platform applications.

Comment

Working...
                    X