No announcement yet.

Wine 1.7.5 Has... Font, Unicode Improvements

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.5 Has... Font, Unicode Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.5 Has... Font, Unicode Improvements

Wine 1.7.5 was released today but if you were hoping it would feature the Direct3D command stream improvements, you will sadly be let down...

As awesome as games are, getting work done is probably more useful on the whole. As someone whose favorite games are already on consoles (I'm not a huge FPS buff), I've always hoped WINE could do more to make my job easier by allowing me to do more creative work without virtualization/dual-booting.

Instead, I've found ways of moving my entire creative workflow to open source tools (the easiest transition being Blender, since it's just amazing). But I think it would be neat if more people could do their jobs on Linux, as I do, and bug fixes that prevent crashes in certain programs (like those in this release) get us closer to that possibility.

Of course, with Steam coming to Linux and giving us a lot more hope for games in the future, perhaps I should be hoping for official support more than unofficial compatibility. Many people wouldn't want to do their jobs on Linux if they could only do it 'unofficially' (i.e. without support).

This isn't really a letdown. Font rendering has been a huge issue on WINE in the past. For example, Windows Firefox under WINE was completely unreadable last time I tried it. (Not that you'd need Firefox under WINE, but for WINE to be considered complete, all Windows programs must work properly.)

I agree that Font rendering has been an issue, but I don't think it's been that big of an issue. I think Compatibility/Performance is a much larger issue and should be the focus of development while treating issues such as Font rendering; as side issues to be resolved by any random passerby.

It's progress with a lot of background work. No reason to not appreciate it.